× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN on XS728T so switch can connect to internet

Victor-R
Aspirant

VLAN on XS728T so switch can connect to internet

I have a simple newbie question: We have a 10.0.1.x LAN on the switch which we do not want to have internet access. But, I need a VLAN port that can access our 192.168.1.x LAN simply so the switch can register with NETGEAR(plus software updates) and access SNTP servers

I set up VLAN ID #2 with PVID 2, and "U" (untag) port xg9 to it
Is there anything else I need to do? 

Model: XS728T|ProSAFE 28-port 10 Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Victor-R
Aspirant

Re: VLAN on XS728T so switch can connect to internet

Ok, I think I figured it out...

Routing>VLAN>VLAN Routing Wizard allowed me to assign a 192.168.1.x address to port xg9

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Unless I'm wrong, the product registration and the check for updates does happen from the Web browser, not direct from the switch. However, the network time and date functionality does require some network access.

Of course you could set-up some routing ie. on the switch, and add some additional route on your router (if it allows it at all) - one has to be rather hard core to do this. Comes the question if moving the management to a Internet routable subnet (and VLAN of course) would not be much easier?

Message 2 of 4
Victor-R
Aspirant

Hi Schumaku, thanks for responding.

I agree about browser registration. Well, at least, that’s how I registered our original XS728T 3 years ago. This current one is a warranty replacement from NETGEAR. I keep getting pop up warnings that automatic registration failed. And, that I need to connect the switch to the internet

“Comes the question if moving the management to a Internet routable subnet (and VLAN of course) would not be much easier?”

This is exactly what I want to do! Sorry for the confusion, I posted the thread around midnight after a 15 hour day.

I just couldn’t figure out how dedicate a switch single port to the 192.168.1.x network that our router is on. While the rest were dedicated to the 10.0.0.x network

Model: XS712T|ProSAFE 12-port Smart Switch with 10G fiber|EOL
Message 3 of 4
Victor-R
Aspirant

Ok, I think I figured it out...

Routing>VLAN>VLAN Routing Wizard allowed me to assign a 192.168.1.x address to port xg9

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements