× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLAN question on factory default setting

tantony
Luminary

VLAN question on factory default setting

I have a XS716T with 3 VLANS. Ports 1-5 on VLAN 2, 6-10 on VLAN 3, 11-15 on VLAN 4, and port 16 is the trunk port. The management VLAN is VLAN 4. I don't have a default VLAN 1 on this switch. Everything works fine when I connect a laptop to this switch. I get the correct VLAN ip address depending on which port I'm connected to.

I was curious to know what would happen if I connect another factory default setting to this XS716T. So, I reset a XS728T to factory default. I'm able to login to it using the default 192.168.0.239 address. This doesn't have any VLANs in it. So I connected this switch to port 13 on the XS716T. Then I connected a laptop to the XS728T. I was not expecting to get a VLAN 4 ip, but I got one.

Why is this?  The XS728T only have VLAN 1 in it, and it's on factory setting.

Model: XS728T|Prosafe 28 ports 10 Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@tantony wrote:

I have a XS716T with 3 VLANS. Ports 1-5 on VLAN 2, 6-10 on VLAN 3, 11-15 on VLAN 4, and port 16 is the trunk port...  reset a XS728T to factory default. ... This doesn't have any VLANs in it. So I connected this switch to port 13 on the XS716T. Then I connected a laptop to the XS728T. I was not expecting to get a VLAN 4 ip, but I got one.

Simple: You have connected the new switch to a port associated to the untagged VLAN 4. There is no "magic" to discover that this port is a member of the VLAN, anything you connect there does see a "flat" L2 network - this VLAN 4. On the newly added switch all ports default to VLAN 1 untagged - so a flat network again. Compare: The same thing would happen if adding an unmanaged switch btw. 

On a static VLAN configuration, there is no automatic distribution of VLANs going on - and this can't happen on an untagged port anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
tantony
Luminary

Image-1.png

This is what my configuration looks like on the XS716T

Message 2 of 7
tantony
Luminary

I'm assuming the XS728T is acting as a "dummy" switch and that's why it's getting VLAN 4?

I looked at this Netgear article, and that's how I have my switch setup, except I don't have VLAN 1

https://kb.netgear.com/31026/How-to-configure-a-VLAN-on-a-NETGEAR-managed-switch

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@tantony wrote:

I have a XS716T with 3 VLANS. Ports 1-5 on VLAN 2, 6-10 on VLAN 3, 11-15 on VLAN 4, and port 16 is the trunk port...  reset a XS728T to factory default. ... This doesn't have any VLANs in it. So I connected this switch to port 13 on the XS716T. Then I connected a laptop to the XS728T. I was not expecting to get a VLAN 4 ip, but I got one.

Simple: You have connected the new switch to a port associated to the untagged VLAN 4. There is no "magic" to discover that this port is a member of the VLAN, anything you connect there does see a "flat" L2 network - this VLAN 4. On the newly added switch all ports default to VLAN 1 untagged - so a flat network again. Compare: The same thing would happen if adding an unmanaged switch btw. 

On a static VLAN configuration, there is no automatic distribution of VLANs going on - and this can't happen on an untagged port anyway.

Message 4 of 7
tantony
Luminary

@schumaku 

Thank you, that makes sense.  Now in the company network, everything is on VLAN 1.  But, I'm redesigning the network, and I have VLANs 2,3,4, no VLAN 1.  So this means I need to configure all the managed switches accordinglgy so I can make specific ports members of specific VLANs.  Correct?

I was just doing a test earlier with the XS716T and XS728T to see what would happen.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Yes, correct!

Message 6 of 7
tantony
Luminary

@schumaku 

Thank you

Message 7 of 7