× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vlan on GS105Ev2 and GS116E

TomVgw
Guide

Vlan on GS105Ev2 and GS116E

I have a problem with setting up a trunk between two netgear switched, a GS105Ev2 and a GS116E.
The problem is I have two routers in my network, one is used for the internet connection and the other one is used for Digital TV.  The Digital TV netwerk consist out of 1 modem/router and one Digicorder. To seperate the two networks, I first bought the GS116E. I went to the advanced 802.1Q configuration. And created a secondary vlan, named VLAN2. I have put two ports of the switch in VLAN2, the ports are untagged and the PVID was set to 2. All the other ports are a member of VLAN1 and have PVID set to 1.This works great.

Afterwards I bought a second Digicorder but this one is placed in the bedroom. A part from the Digicorder, there is also a media player in the bedroom. There is only one cable going from downstairs to the bedroom. As I need both networks in the bedroom, one for the Digicorder and the other for the media player, I decided to buy a secondary switch. The idea was to create a trunk over one cable. Therefor, I bought a GS105E.

On the GS116E, I have put one port, port 13 in both VLAN's (vlan 1 and 2). The port is tagged in both VLAN's. PVID is set to 1 on the GS116E. The idea was to create a trunk carrying both VLAN's.

On the GS105, I have also created a secondary VLAN, VLAN 2 (besides the default vlan, vlan 1). I made port 1 a member of both VLAN's. 
Port 1 (trunk) is a member of vlan 1 and 2, tagged in both vlan's and has a PVID of 1.
Port 2 (media player) is a member of VLAN1, is untagged and has PVID 1.
Port 5 (Digicoder) is a member of VLAN2, is untagged and has PVID 2.
The cable is going from port 13 on the GS116E to port 1 on the GS105.
The Media player (vlan 1) is able to communicate with my network (the internet connection).
The Digicoder (vlan 2) seems to be unable to communicatie with the network downstairs.

It seems as if the GS105 doesn't send the VLAN2 traffic trough the trunk, therefor I must be doing someting wrong.

Can somebody please assist me?

Model: GS105v2|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Vlan on GS105Ev2 and GS116E

Your 802.1q VLAN config on both switches looks 100% appropriate for the intended usage - can't see anything wrong.

Permitting the right ports are connected for the intended trunk config, I'm a little bit lost at this point. Update to the current firmware, factory reset, and reconfigure from scratch - just as a as resort attempt.

File a ticket with the Netgear support on https://my.netgear.com/ - provide all the complete insight as you have ready (or add a link to this thread).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

What I'm missing in the description is a port on the GS116E connected to the TV-router configured for untagged VLAN 2, PVID 2 - similar to the GS105Ev2 port #5.

The trunk on both switches and the G105Ev2 config reads OK to me.

Message 2 of 9
TomVgw
Guide

I have attached screenshots concerning the configuration of the GS116Ev2.

The Telenet Router is the one used for the Digicorder network.

It is at port #10, vlan id 2, pvid 2, untagged.

The first digicorder (the one that works), is at port #11, vlan id 2, pvid 2, untagged.

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The GS116E(v1 or v2?) VLAN config looks OK to me, too. Time permitting, please show us the same views for the GS105Ev2.

Both switch firmware versions are up2date, just in case?

Message 4 of 9
TomVgw
Guide

Attached you will find the same views for the GS105Ev2.
The GS105Ev2 is at firmware level V1.6.0.6. I just updated the firmware level, it was at v1.6.0.4.

The GS116Ev2 is at firmware level V 2.6.0.35. The current one seems to be v2.6.0.43.
The latest firmware update seems to be about changing the default password.

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Your 802.1q VLAN config on both switches looks 100% appropriate for the intended usage - can't see anything wrong.

Permitting the right ports are connected for the intended trunk config, I'm a little bit lost at this point. Update to the current firmware, factory reset, and reconfigure from scratch - just as a as resort attempt.

File a ticket with the Netgear support on https://my.netgear.com/ - provide all the complete insight as you have ready (or add a link to this thread).

Message 6 of 9
TomVgw
Guide

I have made a support ticket for Netgear support.
I will let you know the outcome.

Message 7 of 9
TomVgw
Guide

I have received feedback from support.
They couldn't see anything wrong with the config either and proposed a teamviewer meeting.

As thay couldn't find anything wrong with the config either, I rechecked the cabling again.

The cable that was supposed to be in the trunk port of the GS116Ev2 (port 13) was the wrong cable! Smiley Embarassed

After having inserted the correct cable, it worked immediately.

There was nothing wrong with the config, I had inserted the wrong cable! Smiley Embarassed

Thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Great discovery - so my initial suspicion hit - 'Permitting the right ports are connected for the intended trunk config, "
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements