× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What exactly is a Copper Port on GS110TP

rumorconsumerr
Aspirant

What exactly is a Copper Port on GS110TP

Hey team!

I am the proud owner of a ton of these great netgear switches. I mostly use the POE+ models with SFP ports. 

I have a GS110TP that has 8 POE+ ports plus 2 "Copper Ports". I think these are uplink ports, but I am wondering if somebody could give me a quick download on why these particular ports are more suited for uplink than the other 8 ports on the device. The whole switch runs at gigabit, so whats awesome about these two in particular? 

Thanks a lot.

Model: GS110TPP|8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper Ports and Cloud Management
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: What exactly is a Copper Port on GS110TP

The GS110TPP Data Sheet does indeed talk of "2 Copper Ports" or "2 Dedicated Copper 1G Uplinks", probably to differentitate from the models (GS110TP any version) with the two SFP slots for SFP module installation "2 Dedicated 1G SFP Ports". Technically these are plain standard Gigabit Ethernet ports - no magic inside.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The GS110TPP Data Sheet does indeed talk of "2 Copper Ports" or "2 Dedicated Copper 1G Uplinks", probably to differentitate from the models (GS110TP any version) with the two SFP slots for SFP module installation "2 Dedicated 1G SFP Ports". Technically these are plain standard Gigabit Ethernet ports - no magic inside.

Message 2 of 3
rumorconsumerr
Aspirant

Thanks. The marketing is so weird. I couldnt figure out why this was being touted as something special. "Two COPPER ports!" like as opposed to what? thanks again.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements