Re: XS708T - getting more frustrated as time goes on

BobZelin
Star

XS708T - getting more frustrated as time goes on

first, let me be clear, that this problem does not apply to one particular XS708T switch.  I have seen issues like this with the entire Netgear 10G series of XS switches (not the M4300 or M4500 series).   I install QNAP and Synology 10G NAS systems multiple times as week, and I always use Netgear XS series switches - mainly because they are inexpensive and (for the most part) work very well.  But I am getting more and more angry as I see repeated issues with this series of switches. 

I just installed a new XS708T for a client (I have probably installed over 1000 XS series switches, as I was one of the first ones to get the XS712T when it first came out a long time ago).  The firmware is 7.0.0.20.   Speed from the 10G Mac computer via the XS708T to the NAS system (in this case a QNAP TVS-872XT) is excellent - close to 1000 MB/sec.    As the client uses the system, he complains to me "hey - the speeds have become really slow - I can't get more than 300 MB/sec now) - and sure enough - he is correct.  I have him bypass the XS708T, and plug directly into the QNAP, and BAM - 950 MB/sec.   Plug back into the switch - 

300 MB/sec.  So I do a factory default on the switch, set it up again with an MTU of 9198 on all ports (everything is static IP, and jumbo frames) - and it starts to work again perfectly.  The next day - back down to 300 MB/sec.   On his own, he did a power reset on the switch, and the speeds came back again to full speed. 

I have seen this nonsense more and more with the 6.6.3.3 and 7.0.0.20 firmware.  When I would see this on a 6.6.3.3 switch, I would do a firmware update on the switch (to 7.0.0.20) - reboot, and the switch would now work at full speed.  Sometimes - and then often I would see the speeds slow down. 

All of this is very frustrating.  It's not like I can say "ok - lets get a replacement switch" - because a simple reboot of the switch fixes it.  But this should be working at full speed, 24 hours a day for years without issue.   

Just expressing my frustration.   If stuff like this is not addressed by Netgear soon, I will start looking at alternate "cheap" switches that are finally starting to come onto the market (like the QNAP QSW-M1208-8C). 

Bob Zelin

Model: XS708T|8-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper/SFP+ Combo Ports
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Hi Bob,

Is this issue isolated to the XS708T, or does it apply to the XS708T and XS712Tv2, ...?

-Kurt

Message 2 of 12
BobZelin
Star

It applies to all the models. And of course, it doesn't always happen. I have noticed this happening more and more since 6.6.3.3 and thinking that this would completely go away with 7.0.0.20, and it has not.  Yet, other XS708T's don't have this problem.   Believe me, if this happened on every installation, I would have found another solution a long time ago.  But when it does occationally happen (as it is happening now on my latest installation in Denmark) - it is very frustrating. 

Bob Zelin

Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@YeZ - can you make engineering aware about these random issues please?

Message 4 of 12
mpdas108
Aspirant

I'm also on firmware 7.0.0.20, and can confirm speed issues after a short while. They do resolve with a reset of the switch, but then come back shortly after. 

Model: XS708T|8-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper/SFP+ Combo Ports
Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@mpdas108 wrote:

I'm also on firmware 7.0.0.20, and can confirm speed issues after a short while.

Any specifc systems affected?

@BobZelin is this happening on QNAP NAS with the Virtual Switch or on native 10G interfaces?

Message 6 of 12
BobZelin
Star

In the native 10G ports. I never ever use Virtual Switch on the QNAP.   Everything is always static IP address on everything with Jumbo Frames (MTU 9000 - MTU 9198 on the Netgear XS series). 

So to be clear - lets say the QNAP is at 192.168.2.3/24, the Netgear XS is at 192.168.2.10/24, and the client computer (typically a 

Mac with a thunderbolt 3 to 10G adapter on it, like a QNAP QNA-T310G1T, or Sonnet Solo 10G T3) - is the path. You get great speeds, and then at some point, instead of getting 800 - 900 MB/sec, you get 300 MB/sec.  So you plug the 10G adapter on the computer directly into the QNAP, and no problem - full speeds.  Plug in the switch - 300 MB/sec.   Either factory default the switch, or sometimes even power cycling the Netgear 10G switch, and the speeds come back to full 800 - 900 MB/sec.     So there is no question that it's the switch.  And while I have said this before - it's not just this ONE switch - it's lots of them.  So something is going on.  And it can't be a thermal issue, because I rarely unplug the switch from power - I just go into Maintenance, and reboot or factory default from the menus, and when it comes back up - full speed again. 

Bob Zelin

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Thank you Bob! Just wanted to rule out some effects we have figthed in the early days before the Virtual Switch was released.

Message 8 of 12
mpdas108
Aspirant

It affects macOS, Windows, and Linux machines. None are spared.

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Thank you @mpdas108 

Message 10 of 12
Bruce1120
Aspirant

@BobZelin

Welcome to Netgear community, how to figure out speed down and what's tool using? I suggest you to measure end-end by iperf, e.g. two PCs connecting XS708T, one acting server and another acting client.

BR,

Bruce

Message 11 of 12
BobZelin
Star

thank you for your reply Bruce.  I am not sure if you are an employee of Netgear, or another user on this forum.   The industry standard in the video world (a world that Netgear is heavily involved with because of SDVoE) is both AJA System Test and Blackmagic Speed Test.  But I know very well how to use iPerf, and iPerf can (and is) installed on the QNAP systems that I work on. 

With that said - this has nothing to do with the measurement method.  We can choose the absolute worst tool in the world to measure the network bandwidth.  If you read my post, you will see that speeds are VERY FAST - I specifically stated the bandwidth - about 900 MB/sec, and when the Netgear XS708T (or other XS series switches) decides to have a temper tantrum, the speeds are decreased by about 600 MB/sec.    If you bypass the switch, and leave everything else the same - the computer, the 10G NIC, the cabling, and the QNAP server, the speeds return to normal speed. 

AND ONCE AGAIN I REPEAT (since you were kind enough to reply) - if you reboot or factory default the Netgear XS708T, the speeds return to normal - about 900 MB/sec.   So this is not an issue of not using the right tool for measurment.  ANY TOOL can be used because it is clear and obvious that the Netgear 10G XS708T is the issue here (and other XS series switches with this firmware version).  I would NEVER have complained or dragged this out, but I install multiple Netgear XS series switches every week, and have been doing so for years and years. I am not a new amateur user.  I install high end professional video systems, and am very loyal to Netgear and their product line.  I expect Netgear to address this exact issue, and not say "well - we have never heard of this problem before". 

bobzelin@icloud.com

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements