× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS712T Jumbo Frames (Large Packet Size Failing) Vmware vSAN

PaulChris
Tutor

XS712T Jumbo Frames (Large Packet Size Failing) Vmware vSAN

I am running vmware 6.0 U2 vSAN dedicated traffic on a XS712T network switch and I am getting MTU Large Packet Size Fails on all ports.  I am reading that there are issues with large packets on  Netgear switches. Does anyone know what model Netgear switches work with VSAN ?  What firmware upgrades are needed to make them able to pass traffic (jumbo frames etc) with vmware.  I tried to read the firmware release notes, but could not find any documentation about what they actually fixed.  

I did see this thread about another model discussing the same the topic. I do not know if this was resolved. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/Prosafe-XS716E-Dropping-fragmented-packag...
vsan-fail.PNG

Model: XS712T|ProSAFE 12-port Smart Switch with 10G fiber|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
PaulChris
Tutor

Re: XS712T Jumbo Frames (Large Packet Size Failing) Vmware vSAN

After much testing and trial and error. We found that issue is that the XS712T was overheating and causing the issue.  As it is rackmounted in the Dell rack and the way the fans in the unit blow air from side to side, it was not getting enough air flow.  

When we took the unit and turned it side ways in the rack so that it blew our out the back of the rack, it ran much cooler and the errors stopped.  
We also purched a secondardy XS712v2 as a failover and run it in the same way, exhaust running out the back and do not get any errors. 

Feel that the orginial XS712T will produce errors when it overheats and was the source of our problems. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@PaulChris wrote:

I am running vmware 6.0 U2 vSAN dedicated traffic on a XS712T network switch and I am getting MTU Large Packet Size Fails on all ports.   

Does this have any impact on the effective vSAN operations? Probably the same problem that fragmented ICMP packets are not forwarded as seen on the XS724E in the past.

@PaulChris wrote:

I am reading that there are issues with large packets on  Netgear switches. 

I'm reading - no, I know - that the heavy iron managed switch makers have issues and bugs on their (much more expensive) products, too.

Netgear is undoubted the #1 vendor for switches in the Web Managed / Smart Managed Plus / Smart Managed Pro product segment - the numbers of switches shipped and installed os extremely high.

@PaulChris wrote:

I did see this thread about another model discussing the same the topic. I do not know if this was resolved. 

The firmware update addressed the lost fragemented ICMP 3,0 packets - a system and packet type that is only used for some tests.

@LaurentMa please chime in - Joyeuses Fêtes !

Message 2 of 7
PaulChris
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

@PaulChris wrote:

I am running vmware 6.0 U2 vSAN dedicated traffic on a XS712T network switch and I am getting MTU Large Packet Size Fails on all ports.   

Does this have any impact on the effective vSAN operations? Probably the same problem that fragmented ICMP packets are not forwarded as seen on the XS724E in the past.

Yes I am having a number of issues with vSAN seems to be related to the multicast and large packet issue. Need to find out specifics of this Netgear firmware and any issues regarding ability to handle vSAN traffic.  

This document explains a bit better. 

https://storagehub.vmware.com/t/vmware-vsan/vmware-r-vsan-tm-network-design/vmotion-mtu-checks-ping-...

@PaulChris wrote:

I am reading that there are issues with large packets on  Netgear switches. 

I'm reading - no, I know - that the heavy iron managed switch makers have issues and bugs on their (much more expensive) products, too.

Did not mean imply a hardware issue with the product, rather might be an incompatabilty with vSAN perhaps or I need a firmware.  upgrade.  Just trying to understand what might be the source of the problem. 

@PaulChris wrote:

The firmware update addressed the lost fragemented ICMP 3,0 packets - a system and packet type that is only used for some tests.

Do you know if that code that was implemted in that model also was included in the XS712T ?  Is there a changelog for the firmware updates that I can see ? I cannot find a place to see whats been fixed in the various firmware updates. 

Are you aware of any 10g models that are in production that are running vSAN 6.5 or less (multicast)?  If so what model (firmware version)?  

@LaurentMa please chime in - Joyeuses Fêtes !

Message 3 of 7
PaulChris
Tutor

Also I found this.  I think a firmware update may fix this issue? 

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/566848

He was running a  XS708E and had the same problem, fixed it.  Not sure if there is a difference in the E and T series firmware? 

"Kind of old post. But in case someone else come up with same issue. It was a firmware issue actually. Just be sure you have latest firmware of switch "

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Again, this is a check that is going wrong. Discussed up and down https://communities.vmware.com/thread/538961 - no impact on the functionality.

Message 5 of 7
PaulChris
Tutor

After much testing and trial and error. We found that issue is that the XS712T was overheating and causing the issue.  As it is rackmounted in the Dell rack and the way the fans in the unit blow air from side to side, it was not getting enough air flow.  

When we took the unit and turned it side ways in the rack so that it blew our out the back of the rack, it ran much cooler and the errors stopped.  
We also purched a secondardy XS712v2 as a failover and run it in the same way, exhaust running out the back and do not get any errors. 

Feel that the orginial XS712T will produce errors when it overheats and was the source of our problems. 

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Reads like that's one of these very hot running racks with a lot of machines and storage below, probably in a very dense (pizza box on pizza box) stacking. Very often, the simple 1U network devices run into thermal issues as these are not designed for the common front2back airflow. Nothing that specific to the XS712T, experienced with other major switch or router devices over the years several times. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements