Re: bonding ethernet cables

kebabinho
Aspirant

bonding ethernet cables

HI,

I have a server with 2 ethernet ports. If i want to bond them together to make one connection and potentially double the bandwidth, how do i do this?

I have a GS724T smart switch do i use trunking on the switch and then brdiging on the server?

thanks

Kebabinho
Message 1 of 11
fordem
Mentor

What you can do will be dependent on what the OS/NIC driver(s) on the server supports - does it support link aggregation?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 11
kebabinho
Aspirant

Hi,

they are on DELL poweredge R520, i beleive they are broadcom 5720 that does allow link aggregation

thanks

Gareth
Message 3 of 11
Daedalus01
Aspirant

As it so happens, I also have R520 (among others) and I have LAG functioning on it. You have to download the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite to do this though, you can't use the default drivers ( I'm assuming for Windows. I'm not sure if there is a BACS for linux OS). Its best to configure both devices (server and switch) first and then connect it to the network.
Message 4 of 11
kebabinho
Aspirant

HI,

hans for coming back to me. To confirm i still have to set trunking on the switch?

thanks

gareth
Message 5 of 11
kebabinho
Aspirant

i have installed the software on the server (but not the new drivers and windows told me i had the latest already. I have created the team in the software. i have added the ports on the switch into the same trunk.

one of the adapters in the software saus that the Basp State is not active. I am only showing conencted at 1GB (should it show 2?) and when i reboot the server it will only connect to the local network (not internet) and people cannot connect to the server through the network. i have to turn off the trunking on the switch to get it to work correctl again
Message 6 of 11
Daedalus01
Aspirant

Yes you have to still have trunking enabled on the switch.

When you have it correctly setup, your status should show as mine does below. Sound like some settings may be incorrect. What type of team did your create? It should be the 802.3ad using Link Aggregation Control Protocol. Which BACS version did you get 3 or 4? I had some issues with 3 so I got version 4.

Message 7 of 11
kebabinho
Aspirant

Hi,

i installed BACS 4. the team is set up as 802.3 ad. im not sure how to add screenshots on here.

i think it must be a problem with the switch as when i try to set up the teaming it all falls over.
Message 8 of 11
Daedalus01
Aspirant

You can use an image server like imageshack to host the pictures, then add the pictures to the post using the little scenery icon on the reply window
Message 9 of 11
kebabinho
Aspirant

Message 10 of 11
Daedalus01
Aspirant

Ok. Can you expand Primary adapters? Can you also show your Switch config as well?
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements