× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: boot code update

joey_gs724
Aspirant

boot code update

i have a negear prosafe GS725T switch with the oldest firmware on it and i would like to update it to newest firm but in order to do so i need to update the boot code first but i am unable to find any documentation specifically for this model the closest thing i found was for GS724TS and the options listed are not present like "Maintenance > download> ..."

how can i update the boot code on my switch ? thanks

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@joey_gs724,

That's correct. Most of the firmware has its own boot code file.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi joey_gs724,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

What is the exact model number that you are trying to update the boot code? You may need to do a step by step upgrade of the firmware in order for you to update the boot code on each family version. You cannot just jump to the latest version as it may brick your switch.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
joey_gs724
Aspirant

hi and thanks for responding to me.

i am not intending on jumping firmware versions but go in a ladder fashion. if i understand you correctly, i can upgrade my firmware untill i am presented with more features in the web gui to upgrade the boot code?

so this is directly copied from the switch browser admin dashboard. i am not sure what version is the switch exactly and i wont have physical presence to the hardware untill a few days but it maybe v1. btw i did a reset so all configuration info is from a reset .

Product Name GS724T Firmware Version V1.0.0_0429 Protocol Version 2.001.002

Message 3 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@joey_gs724,

I can't seem to find the right model for your device. I assume this is a GS724Tv2. The boot code is included in the zip file once you downloaded the posted firmware in our downloads page. You may need to update the boot code first before proceeding further.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
joey_gs724
Aspirant

right so i already have that zip file but what i am not understanding is how is the boot code uploaded to the switch? there is no directions provided in that zip other than "make sure ot upgrade boot code" .... i found some other directions but that was for GS724v4 which has different features which mines lack in the webui.

Message 5 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@joey_gs724,

You may upload the boot code on the same application where you upload the firmware. You may need to use the Smartwizard Utility in order for you to upgrade it.

Here is the reference(page 5-1).

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
joey_gs724
Aspirant

thanks it seems to work for the first upgrade version i did so far.... do all firmware upgrades require bootcode to be upgraded prior firmware upgrade? it seems all zip files have a bootcode file.

Message 7 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@joey_gs724,

That's correct. Most of the firmware has its own boot code file.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements