× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can't get a single vlan connection to get an IP from pfsense

tiwing
Aspirant

can't get a single vlan connection to get an IP from pfsense

Hi all, totally new to VLAN, but a week ago when I ordered the switch it felt like a better idea than it does now. Regardless of how much I "THOUGHT" I understood what needed to be done, it's clear my many many hours of reading hasn't changed the fact I don't know what the he!! I'm doing.

Netgear GS324TP switch, pfsense Firewall.

I'm over here asking for what I imagine is a rediculous question.

Moving from my dumb switch to my smart switch, everything works out of the box, as expected.

All I'm trying to do, for now, is get ONE port to function on a VLAN. once I figure that out, I think I'll be able to go from there. I have followed all the tutorials on the web for how to set up pfsense. I think I have it right. But I don't know if my issue is passing traffic through the switch or if I messed up pfsense config.

Desktop is wired to port 15. pfsense to port 23. pfsense PVID is 1, VLAN member is 1,5, tagged is 5.

Switching desktop switchport 15 to PVID 5, VLAN member 5, drops internet and I don't get an IP address from pfsense.

(I've been using the Port PVID Configuration page to do all this work then validating on the other pages, is that a bad idea? seems like far fewer clicks than VLAN Membership page to do the same thing.)

Please help? For now all I want is to get my desktop on a VLAN.
thanks
Tiwing
Model: GS324TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Looks ok from what you have posted here on the switch side. Ensure there is a dedicated network (IP subnet) with a DHCP server, with routing or NAT-routing to the Internet configured.

Message 2 of 5
tiwing
Aspirant

appreicate the reply. I've been up all night trying to make it work... it's now in a box with a return label on it. I don't _need_ it at my house as I have two physical networks that work just fine..  and i'm just not smart enough to figure it out... so back it goes. cheers.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

I don't think returning is required. The problem isn't the switch - much more the pfSense device config.

Start here FMI https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/vlan/index.html

Networking is not something one can quickly learn in a night...
Message 4 of 5
tiwing
Aspirant

Hi, agree 100% that the problem isn't likely the switch, but it's the thing I _can_ return and I don't have the time or patience to learn the details of pfsense to the nth level. What this adventure reminded me is that making something too complex for what is needed is a mistake. I already have high availability in my pf boxes with working failover (who needs that at home??), and two separate (physical) networks to separate home and guest traffic. Maybe in a year I'll get the itch again to mess around with it. I appreciate your willingness to  help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements