× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: computer must be connected directly to ARRIS router and also, NeGS116v2 at same time (work ar...

bootlake
Aspirant

computer must be connected directly to ARRIS router and also, NeGS116v2 at same time (work around?)

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSafe Plus 16 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: computer must be connected directly to ARRIS router and also, NeGS116v2 at same time (work ar...

Permitting the switch does connect into the same switched network on the Arris router I can't see any reason why WIndows would consider this to be a different network - as it has the same default gateway/router MAC address, the same TCP/IP subnetwork, ...

In general, these small switches are starting up very fast and become operational within seconds. 

From your clarification it reads like the switch does fail to bring up the network link (being to the router or to the Windows system).or does misbehave after some time. I'd suggest to discuss this with Netgear, suspect random hardware failure.

Now this might be not easy to handle, as it's a well-kept secret .... Netgear does make it really hard to find:

myNetgear -> My Support -> [Contact Support] -> Replace my defective product -> select the switch from the product list -> you will get a contact information -> provide some descriptive text (and add a link to this community discussion)...

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @bootlake,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Does the Arris router provide wireless network?  If yes, then you can connect the Windows 10 PC wirelessly to the wireless network being broadcast by the Arris router and at the same time, connect the ethernet port of the Windows 10 PC directly to the GS116v2 switch. 

If the Arris router and the GS116v2 switch are both within the same LAN, then the typical setup should be: modem--Arris router--GS116v2--PCs.  The GS116v2 is just a pass through, unmanaged switch wherein its purpose is to extend the local network so that you can connect more devices to the LAN such as printer and PCs.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 14
bootlake
Aspirant

Thanks Dane for responding.

Both do provide wireless access.  The problem is that I hibernate or shut down the computer (to save energy).  That would shut off the wireless connection.

Message 3 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Of course the wireless link will go down if the computer does hibernate and certainly once shut-down.

The switch is not involved in the wireless connection - this is not a Netgear issue.

Worth a note: Decent Windows does prefer the wired connection over the wireless if both are connecting into the same network, however this does not prohibit the computer from re-establishing the wireless connection. Have seen several posts here in the community where users report a similar problem (more macOS, few Windows) with some Netgear wireless routers where users report that the wireless connection is not re-established after sleep or hibernation. 

Message 4 of 14
bootlake
Aspirant

It appears to be a Netgear issue; since, the switch requires the computer to be plugged into it.  The Arris SBG 7580-AC also requires the computer to be plugged into the router, at the same time.

The result is that I have sporadic network issues and errors.

Message 5 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Sorry? For a wireless connection - assuming the ARRIS is in router mode - there must be nothing connected (wired) to it. The wireless connection is established between your Windows system and the wireless radio access point built-in to your ARRIS device. Perfectly sufficient to establish a wireless connection.

Obvious, if you want a wired Ethernet connection from your computer to the switch and from the switch to the router there must be cables, and the connection (the Ethernet links) must be up so the communication can be establised on the wired channel..

@bootlake wrote:

... a Netgear issue; since, the switch requires the computer to be plugged into it.  The Arris SBG 7580-AC also requires the computer to be plugged into the router, at the same time..

No, neither the ARRIS nor the computer _require_ a plugged connection. Wireless can work completely independent, these are two complete individual network connections. Well, technically correct both are in the same broadcast domain, and make use of the same TCP/IP subnetwork.

Tell us what kind of issues you are experiencing.

Test with only the wired Ethernet connections over the switch first, disable the wireless and/or put the computer in flight mode.

Later disconnect the wired Ethernet connection, and just in case reboot. Enable the wireless resp. disable the Flight Mode, and test for a while gain.

Message 6 of 14
bootlake
Aspirant

I need a wired connection; thus, how do I wire it so, that the computer is fed directly into both the router and switch?

Message 7 of 14
bootlake
Aspirant

Maybe what I am failing to communicate is that the instructions for both the computer and the switch, require that the computer be directly  connected to each.

If not each separately connected directly to the computer, one of the errors that happens is that the they "think" they are on different networks.

Message 8 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@bootlake wrote:

I need a wired connection; thus, how do I wire it so, that the computer is fed directly into both the router and switch?

The obvious way, like PC <-> Switch <-> RouterLANport. 

What problem, issue, messages do you face after power-up or wake-up from sleep?

Message 9 of 14
bootlake
Aspirant

Thank you for your responses.

Both the Arris surfboard SBG7580AC router and the Netgear GS116Ev2 require each to be separately plugged with the computer, according to their instructions.

Some of the errors I am getting are: no Internet access (sometimes both Ethernet and wireless), connection between router, switch, etc. is broken; Ethernet IP no valid connection, P no valid address, another computer already has IP address, unidentified network, etc.

Thank you again.

Message 10 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@bootlake wrote:

Both the Arris surfboard SBG7580AC router and the Netgear GS116Ev2 require each to be separately plugged with the computer, according to their instructions.

These instructions are covering the most basics only.

Again, use Computer <-> Switch <-> Router and no other connections between the same devices.

Message 11 of 14
bootlake
Aspirant

Again, Must use Computer <-> Router and no other connections between the same devices, otherwise the error is that there is a "new public network". If I configure it the way you suggest, it may work for a while; then I get the error. This especially happens when I get a power interruption. Thank you.
Message 12 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Permitting the switch does connect into the same switched network on the Arris router I can't see any reason why WIndows would consider this to be a different network - as it has the same default gateway/router MAC address, the same TCP/IP subnetwork, ...

In general, these small switches are starting up very fast and become operational within seconds. 

From your clarification it reads like the switch does fail to bring up the network link (being to the router or to the Windows system).or does misbehave after some time. I'd suggest to discuss this with Netgear, suspect random hardware failure.

Now this might be not easy to handle, as it's a well-kept secret .... Netgear does make it really hard to find:

myNetgear -> My Support -> [Contact Support] -> Replace my defective product -> select the switch from the product list -> you will get a contact information -> provide some descriptive text (and add a link to this community discussion)...

Message 13 of 14
bootlake
Aspirant

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements