× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ethernet leds are amber netgear prosafe GS748T

caifan125
Aspirant

ethernet leds are amber netgear prosafe GS748T

Hi, I hope somebody help me. We have a switch netgear ProSafe GS748T, and suddenly, the leds that indicates if any port is occupied are amber, even if the port is empty, and they don't blink, all of them are in amber and fixed,   but the funny thing is that all our pc's in our lan still have access to the internet and to the lan, what could be the problem? I will appreciate your answer.

Thanks for all.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello caifan125,

Port LEDs turn amber/yellow when it is running a 10/100mbps speed with the LAN device connected to it.

• Solid Green - A valid 1000 Mbps link is established on the port.

• Flashing Green - Packet transmission or reception is occurring on the port at 1000 Mbps.

• Solid Yellow - A valid 10/100 Mbps link is established on the port.

• Flashing Yellow - Packet transmission or reception is occurring on the port at 10/100 Mbps.

• Off - No 10/100 Mbps link is established on the port.

• Solid Green - Full-duplex link is established on the port.

• Off - No full-duplex or half-duplex link is established on the port.

However, in your case, even if the LAN port is empty it still lights up. That does not sound right. I suggest you do factory reset on the switch, FW update if you can access the admin page. And if youg et the same results, it needs replacement.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello caifan125,

Port LEDs turn amber/yellow when it is running a 10/100mbps speed with the LAN device connected to it.

• Solid Green - A valid 1000 Mbps link is established on the port.

• Flashing Green - Packet transmission or reception is occurring on the port at 1000 Mbps.

• Solid Yellow - A valid 10/100 Mbps link is established on the port.

• Flashing Yellow - Packet transmission or reception is occurring on the port at 10/100 Mbps.

• Off - No 10/100 Mbps link is established on the port.

• Solid Green - Full-duplex link is established on the port.

• Off - No full-duplex or half-duplex link is established on the port.

However, in your case, even if the LAN port is empty it still lights up. That does not sound right. I suggest you do factory reset on the switch, FW update if you can access the admin page. And if youg et the same results, it needs replacement.

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
caifan125
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for you reply, in fact the switch looks like it was in Factory mode, but shows in the smart control this:

error-netgear.jpg

But it still works without problem, I didn’t touch the configuration. One more thing, we are in a lan with 10.0.1.x. Do you think it has something bad?

Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello caifan125,

This screenshot means your LAN card has an IP address of 10.0.1.22. The switch though is not on the same IP subnet of your computer. It could be on static IP address, default IP address of this switch is 192.168.0.239 but yours show 192.168.0.238.

What's the default gateway of your computer?

Anyway, the LED activities have nothing to do with the IP addresses, they are indicators for physical connectivity

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
caifan125
Aspirant

Thanks for your answers, you are rigth, the ip of my pc is one and the ip of the switch is another, they are not in the same segment. The thing is that it suposse that switch was never configured, I don't know why, because by the way,  I'm new in the job so I'm checking all. Anyway, other thing is that if you see the picture, the mac address appears 00:00:00:00:00:01 and it suppose appears the mac address of the switch, what happened here?. That confuse me, apart the leds in amber/yellow, well, again, I will appreciate your answer.

Thank you so much for you support

Message 5 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello caifan125,

It should be MAC address of the switch, this MAC address will only show up right when the switch is properly connected to the network and working as it should. Even when you connect the switch to the computer directly and switch is not connected to the network, the MAC address should still show up.

I guess try installing the switch and configure the IP address first.

Regards,

Message 6 of 10
caifan125
Aspirant

I will try, thanks for your help

Message 7 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello caifan125,

Not a problem.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 8 of 10
juantxu
Aspirant

Hi, I'm having same problem. How do you finally fix it ?

all leds in yellow (without nics connected)

Message 9 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi juantxu,

LAN ports should be off and no light lit up when there is no LAN device plugged in. 

If you have any special config on the switch such as LAG, VLANs, QoS, etc., back up the config first then hard reset the switch. May be best if you update the firmware if it is not updated yet.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements