netgear switch pinging and multicast not working consistently

carlatpg
Luminary

netgear switch pinging and multicast not working consistently

Hi,

I've got a NETGEAR GS752TXS with boot version B5.2.0.1, and software version 6.1.0.12.

I have 2 vlan's on it. One is using the ID of 1 for connections to the internet. This one has ports 1-27 untagged and ports 28-52 not selected at all with lag 1-8 untagged. I made ports 1/g1-1/g27 be a member of PVID 1, Acceptable Frame Types set to admit all, Configured Ingress Filtering set to disabled, and Port Priority set to 0.

And a second one of using the ID of 4, for a private lan with multicast traffic. This one has ports 1-27 not selected at all and ports 28-52 untagged with lag 1-8 untagged. I made ports 1/g1-1/g27 be a member of PVID 4, Acceptable Frame Types set to admit all, Configured Ingress Filtering set to disabled, and Port Priority set to 0.

I have a cat 6e network cable from a router to the network switch on port 1. I've got 3 servers connected to ports 5, 6, and 7. They all work and can be pinged normally from the internet.

I've got another server with 2 on board ethernet ports, Dual Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller, and when I configure one of them with a public ip address and gateway, I can ping it from the internet. It can also ingest multicast and output multicast. It is connected to port 23.

But it also has a 4 port pci express Intel 82575 card and for the network port with a public ip address and gateway, I cannot ping it from the internet. 2 of the ports are connected to port 24 and 25. And no matter if I use one of the ports or both as bonded using active-backup, I cannot ping it from the internet. But if I try to ping it from a local server that is connected to the switch on the same vlan, PVID 1, then it does work. Just not if it goes through the gateway.

Now when I connected one of the 2 on board ethernet ports, Dual Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller, to the 2nd vlan, PVID 4, and configured them with a private ip address, I can ping it from another server on the same vlan. And multicast ingestion works.

But when I connect 2 of the 4 ports from the 4 port pci express Intel 82575 card and for the network port with a private ip address, connected to PVID 4, I can ping it from another server on the same vlan. But multicast ingestion does not work. Even though I've got the multicast route setup correctly. No matter if I use only one port or both bonded using active-backup.

The only other changes I've made were changing the admin user password. I have made no other changes. How can I get this to work?
Message 1 of 2
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: netgear switch pinging and multicast not working consistently

Duplicate

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=87182
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-