× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AV200 discontinued - but need to add extra receiver

billygoat
Aspirant

AV200 discontinued - but need to add extra receiver

My AV200 pair is working well, but now I need to add an extra receiver for the roof deck. How should I proceed, given the product is discontinued?

Supplementary question: Would replacing the AV200 with the latest product (whatever that is?) give me a noticeable benefit?

Many tx.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: AV200 discontinued - but need to add extra receiver

Modern powerline devices work to the "AV" standard. So you can add any AV plug from any maker to an existing network.

There are a few things to remember though. The network will run at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network. So if you add 1000 Mbps plugs to a Powerline AV 200 network, it will all chug along at 200 Mbps. But the 1000 Mbps plugs have an advantage in that their LAN socket also works at 1000 Mbps for wired devices.

Another important point is that if you add plugs to an existing network you have to introduce the new plugs to the old ones. You do that by following these instructions:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@billygoat wrote:

Just want to add: can I use the NETGEAR Mini N300 Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender with the existing AV200? Or is this a completely different product?

What is the model number of that? N300 is a wifi speed standard, not a model number. Just because something plugs into the mains does not mean that it is powerline.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
billygoat
Aspirant

Just want to add: can I use the NETGEAR Mini N300 Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender with the existing AV200? Or is this a completely different product?

Message 2 of 3

Modern powerline devices work to the "AV" standard. So you can add any AV plug from any maker to an existing network.

There are a few things to remember though. The network will run at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network. So if you add 1000 Mbps plugs to a Powerline AV 200 network, it will all chug along at 200 Mbps. But the 1000 Mbps plugs have an advantage in that their LAN socket also works at 1000 Mbps for wired devices.

Another important point is that if you add plugs to an existing network you have to introduce the new plugs to the old ones. You do that by following these instructions:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@billygoat wrote:

What is the model number of that? N300 is a wifi speed standard, not a model number. Just because something plugs into the mains does not mean that it is powerline.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7