× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Point

BobWillardsen
Aspirant

Access Point

Hello,

I'm having some trouble and could use help.  I have a device that does not have wireless capability but I want to put it on my wireless network.  I have the D6400 router.  I set it up as a wireless access point but cannot connect to my existing wi-fi.  Any tips on how to make this happen?  I've been trying unsuccessfully for days. 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Re: Access Point

If the TV is connected to the D6400 you don't need wifi to get the TV to talk to the CenturyLink router.

Plug the router intro the D6400 and it will get its Internet that way.

If the D6400 isn't connected to the router, tackle that first. I assume that the D6400 is the modem that gets you the Internet.

What is the CenturyLink router doing? The D6400 also delivers wifi.

Maybe you could explain the layout of your network.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi BobWillardsen,

What is the model number of your Access Point?

Message 2 of 7

@BobWillardsen wrote:
I have a device that does not have wireless capability but I want to put it on my wireless network.

How do you expect to connect a device that does not have wireless capability on to a wireless network?

Do you plan to use the D6400's USB or LAN?

What is the existing wifi?

Remember, the D6400 can do access point but I can't see that it will work as a repeater. In other words, there has to be a wired link to the existing wifi device.

Message 3 of 7
BobWillardsen
Aspirant

The Access point is a D6400.  I have an existing Centurylink router that is sending a wifi signal and is connected to the internet.  I have a device that is not wifi capable that I want to be able to get on the network.  I was thinking that I could plug the access point into the D6400 and connect wirelessly to the network.  Is this possible?

Message 4 of 7

I'm still confiused.

You say:

@BobWillardsen wrote:

The Access point is a D6400. 

Then you say

@BobWillardsen wrote:

I was thinking that I could plug the access point into the D6400 ...

To me that says you want to plug the D6400 into itself.

So we still don't know what "wireless free" device you want to connect to the network.

If you want to attach something else to the network, then the options are that it has a LAN socket or that it is a USB device.

Message 5 of 7
BobWillardsen
Aspirant

Sorry for the confusion.  I have a CenturyLink router that is broadcasting wifi.  I have a TV box that is not wifi capable, it just has an ethernet port.  I'm trying to plug the TV box into the D6400 and have it talk wirelessly to the CenturyLink router.  Is this possible?

Message 6 of 7

If the TV is connected to the D6400 you don't need wifi to get the TV to talk to the CenturyLink router.

Plug the router intro the D6400 and it will get its Internet that way.

If the D6400 isn't connected to the router, tackle that first. I assume that the D6400 is the modem that gets you the Internet.

What is the CenturyLink router doing? The D6400 also delivers wifi.

Maybe you could explain the layout of your network.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7