× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding PLW1000 to Network with an R6400 causes network to go haywire

leopost
Tutor

Adding PLW1000 to Network with an R6400 causes network to go haywire

I have an R6400 Netgear router hooked up to ATT Uverse NVG589 for internet access. Both wired and wireless devices connected to the R6400. Everything works great until....I wanted to get better WIFI to our Rooftop deck which is two floors away from the R6400. Reception up there is available, but weak. My thinking was - use a PLW1000 hooked to the R6400 to create a wired extension, placing the wireless receiver end close to the roof deck and then connect to the receivers wireless signal when working from the roof.

Well as soon as I hooked up the PLW1000 the rest of the network went haywire. Dropped internet connection on various devices. IP address conflicts. I'm am assuming maybe it has something to do with the way the R6400 is set-up to be able to work with the NVG589...or something. I tried resetting everything, but no luck. As soon as I removed the PLW1000 and reset the R6400, everything returned to normal. Not sure if there is any way to get this to work.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Leo 

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
leopost
Tutor

Re: Adding PLW1000 to Network with an R6400 causes network to go haywire

I think figured out my own problem. I already had a different brand powerline connection on the router for our security camera DVR. By removing the router side adapter for the PLW1000 I am still able to utilize the receiving end of the PLW1000 with the existing powerline network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
leopost
Tutor

I think figured out my own problem. I already had a different brand powerline connection on the router for our security camera DVR. By removing the router side adapter for the PLW1000 I am still able to utilize the receiving end of the PLW1000 with the existing powerline network.

Message 2 of 4

You had two "host" adapters plugged into the router?

As you have discovered, you can use different brands and speeds of Powerline plugs on the same network.

You just have to add the new pluigs to the existing network using this advice:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network

If your plugs are different speeds, I would use the fastest plugs as the "host" and then pair everything to that. Plugs will communicate at the speed of the slowest plug, but if you have "fast" plugs as the main network, then they may communicate between each other faster than the slower plugs.

Message 3 of 4
leopost
Tutor

Yep. Thanks for the information. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements