× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Powerline 1000 WIFI Access point to existing Powerline Network (Powerline AV 200, XAV 2001)

canuckdjs
Aspirant

Adding Powerline 1000 WIFI Access point to existing Powerline Network (Powerline AV 200, XAV 2001)

Not an expert here, but looking for guidance.

I have had a Powerline network in the house for over three years now, works great.  Powerline AV 200 receiving ethernet connection from Time Capsule, with Powerline XAV1004 - Powerline AV Adapter With Ethernet Switch connected from an Airport Express for streaming content to TV (via Apple TV).  

I have a deadzone in the middle of my house, which an Airport Express is not helping.  WIFI is weak, constantly dropping.

My question is this:  Will the Powerline 1000 WIFI Access Point work with existing Powerline network (PWL AV 200) simply by plugging it into the outlet as advertised, or will in only work with the companion Adapter?  Second part of question:  If I do replace the PWL AV 200 (XAV 2001) with the PWL Adapter, will that screw up what's working fine with the XAV 1004?  I've heard that the PWL 1000 creates it's own network, and would rather keep the host network (via Time Capsule) intact.

Thanks in advance.

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter,PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Adding Powerline 1000 WIFI Access point to existing Powerline Network (Powerline AV 200, XAV 200

@canuckdjs wrote:

My question is this:  Will the Powerline 1000 WIFI Access Point work with existing Powerline network (PWL AV 200) simply by plugging it into the outlet as advertised....?

Yes. Modern powerline devices work to the "AV" standard. It is an industry thing. So you can add any AV plug from any maker to an existing network.

There are a few things to remember though. The network will run at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network. So if you add 1000 Mbps plugs to a Powerline AV 200 network, it will all chug along at 200 Mbps. But the 1000 Mbps plugs have an advantage in that their LAN socket also works at 1000 Mbps for wired devices.

Another important point is that if you add plugs to an existing network you have to introduce the new plugs to the old ones. You do that by following these instructions:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@canuckdjs wrote:
Second part of question:  If I do replace the PWL AV 200 (XAV 2001) with the PWL Adapter, will that screw up what's working fine with the XAV 1004?  I've heard that the PWL 1000 creates it's own network, and would rather keep the host network (via Time Capsule) intact.

See above. You can run two separate powerline networks over a single mains circuit, but if you want just one network, add the PLW1000 – that''s the proper name if you want to search around here for more help – to the existing network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

Re: Adding Powerline 1000 WIFI Access point to existing Powerline Network (Powerline AV 200, XAV 200

@canuckdjs wrote:

My question is this:  Will the Powerline 1000 WIFI Access Point work with existing Powerline network (PWL AV 200) simply by plugging it into the outlet as advertised....?

Yes. Modern powerline devices work to the "AV" standard. It is an industry thing. So you can add any AV plug from any maker to an existing network.

There are a few things to remember though. The network will run at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network. So if you add 1000 Mbps plugs to a Powerline AV 200 network, it will all chug along at 200 Mbps. But the 1000 Mbps plugs have an advantage in that their LAN socket also works at 1000 Mbps for wired devices.

Another important point is that if you add plugs to an existing network you have to introduce the new plugs to the old ones. You do that by following these instructions:

Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@canuckdjs wrote:
Second part of question:  If I do replace the PWL AV 200 (XAV 2001) with the PWL Adapter, will that screw up what's working fine with the XAV 1004?  I've heard that the PWL 1000 creates it's own network, and would rather keep the host network (via Time Capsule) intact.

See above. You can run two separate powerline networks over a single mains circuit, but if you want just one network, add the PLW1000 – that''s the proper name if you want to search around here for more help – to the existing network.

Message 2 of 4
canuckdjs
Aspirant

Installed the new Powerline 1000 adapter and Wifi access point.  It worked for 2 days, then the adapter suddenly stopped recognizing the plug in.  The light was off.  Restarted router, restarted both adapter and access point... no luck.  Reset to factory settings on both units - to no avail.  Pick a Plug LED remained off at the adapter.  When we tried to log into the Netgear88_EXT network, no devices could connect.  After several attempts following the instructions in the manual, I just put the old Powerline adapter into the wall (XAV2001), and now the Wifi extender works again, albeit at slower connection speeds.

Very frustrating.  Not pleased.

Message 3 of 4

@canuckdjs wrote:

Installed the new Powerline 1000 adapter and Wifi access point.  It worked for 2 days, then the adapter suddenly stopped recognizing the plug in.  The light was off.  Restarted router, restarted both adapter and access point... no luck.  Reset to factory settings on both units - to no avail.  Pick a Plug LED remained off at the adapter. 

Sounds like the 1000 plug died a premature death.

Get a warranty replacement.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7