× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Powerline Adaptors XAV5201 and XWN5001

Tony_Ev
Follower

Adding Powerline Adaptors XAV5201 and XWN5001

Hi, I am a Novice at Network stuff.
I have a working powerline pair of XAV5201 and XWN5001 (several years old) and want to add  more outlet adaptors with WIFI Not just wired RJ45s).  I thought I had identified the right units with WIFI and bought a pair of PLW1000s. They connected up to the XAV5201 OK. But I could not  see them on the WIFI network and I now understand they are probably just wired outlets. Can anyone advise me what is the part number for the present day unit in hte Powerline series that gives me WIFI at the adaptor as well as wired (as does my current XWN5001).

Thanks, Tony

Model: XWN5001|Powerline 500 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: Adding Powerline Adaptors XAV5201 and XWN5001

@Tony_Ev wrote:

I thought I had identified the right units with WIFI and bought a pair of PLW1000s. They connected up to the XAV5201 OK. But I could not  see them on the WIFI network and I now understand they are probably just wired outlets.

If you buy the PLW1000 bundle you get one regular plug (the one that you are supposed to attach to the router) and one plug that also has a wifi access point.

When you add new plugs to an existing Powerline network you have to introduce the new plugs to the network.

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

In this way you need just one plug connected to the router.

Unfortunately, none of the makers of Powerline kit seems to sell single plugs as wifi access points.

One thing you should bear in mind is that the new plugs have Gb ethernet LAN whereas the old ones have just 100 Mbps. The "500" generation plugs are supposed to talk to each pother at 500 Mbps, while the "1000" plugs are supposed to do 1000 Mbps. But with a mixture of plugs they will all work at the speed of the slower plugs. Probably no big deal but worth remembering.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

@Tony_Ev wrote:

I thought I had identified the right units with WIFI and bought a pair of PLW1000s. They connected up to the XAV5201 OK. But I could not  see them on the WIFI network and I now understand they are probably just wired outlets.

If you buy the PLW1000 bundle you get one regular plug (the one that you are supposed to attach to the router) and one plug that also has a wifi access point.

When you add new plugs to an existing Powerline network you have to introduce the new plugs to the network.

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

In this way you need just one plug connected to the router.

Unfortunately, none of the makers of Powerline kit seems to sell single plugs as wifi access points.

One thing you should bear in mind is that the new plugs have Gb ethernet LAN whereas the old ones have just 100 Mbps. The "500" generation plugs are supposed to talk to each pother at 500 Mbps, while the "1000" plugs are supposed to do 1000 Mbps. But with a mixture of plugs they will all work at the speed of the slower plugs. Probably no big deal but worth remembering.

Message 2 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Hi Tony_Ev,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information michaelkenward provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7