× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Powerline WiFi access point to existing Powerline AV 200

billygoat
Aspirant

Adding Powerline WiFi access point to existing Powerline AV 200

Is it true that I cannot buy a single access point - I have to buy the adapter/access point pair?

If that's the case I guess I'll have to get the PWL1000 and add the AV200 access point to the system.

However, does that mean that the entire system will slow down to match the AV200 - or will only the AV200 access point remain slow? Tx

Extra question: I suppose I could try to find a second-user AV200 to cut down on costs?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: Adding Powerline WiFi access point to existing Powerline AV 200

Your wifi devices could end up being confused and not knowing which network to join, especially when you move from place to place. I always use different names.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

@billygoat wrote:

Is it true that I cannot buy a single access point - I have to buy the adapter/access point pair?

Yes.

However, does that mean that the entire system will slow down to match the AV200 - or will only the AV200 access point remain slow? Tx

Good question. If you buy the 1000 plugs and use those as the host and client, they may talk to each other at the higher speed.

Remember, one advantage of the 1000 pkugs is that their LAN is Gigabit. Older plugs are 100 Mbps. With Internet speeds rising, and most PCs and modems doing Gigabit LAN, that's another reason for getting the newer plugs.

You may have a hard time finding new AV200s, but you can mix and match different brands.

Message 2 of 6
billygoat
Aspirant

Success: I managed to buy a cheap second-user AV 200 system on eBay. I then tried for hours (and hours!) trying to get my existing system to talk to the new extender, before resorting to factory-resetting all three units (existing adapter, existing extender and new extender) and re-entering the relevant information. That did the trick. Interestingly, the system I got on eBay is the "v2" - the extender has three leds on the front instead of four and is slightly smaller.

Message 3 of 6

Excellent.

When in doubt, factory reset, especially when your are stumped..

Message 4 of 6
billygoat
Aspirant

Just one last query: I've given the two Powerline networks in my home different names (which seems logical to me). What would be the effect of giving them the same name?

Message 5 of 6

Your wifi devices could end up being confused and not knowing which network to join, especially when you move from place to place. I always use different names.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7