× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advice on extending powerline network

DaveMacRae
Follower

Advice on extending powerline network

Hi,

In my house I have a mixture or wired and wireless networking. Main server, desktops, router, TV etc are on the wired network while laptops, chromecast, phones etc use wireless.

I'm already using an XAV5201/XWN5001 pair to extend the WiFi upstairs and I'm quite happy with how it works. 

I now need to extend WiFi coverage into an out-building that has it's own power line (still on the main house network) and wired ethernet.

Am I best to get another powerline adaptor to plug into a socket in the out-building or am I best to just use a old router as an AP?

If powerline is the best solution, is it possible to buy a single XWN5001? Is that model still available (can't find it on Amazon)? Is there a later model?

Many thanks for any advice.

Model: XAV5201|Powerline 500 Nano,XWN5001|Powerline 500 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: Advice on extending powerline network

You can use a Powerline plug to extend the network to the shed. I have done that. But the quality and speed you get will depend on the wiring. If it goes through a second fuse box you may lose performance.

Sadly, Netgear, and other plug makers, don't like selling single plugs.

There are later models. They will all work with your plugs. Some are faster but you will be limited to the speed of the slower devices.

Plugs remember their settings, why not take the wifi plug you have indoors and try it in the shed? If it does what you want, you are in business and can buy some more plugs.

You say the shed has Ethernet. Is that Ethernet into the house? If so, then an old router might be just as good. Better even, because the LAN should be faster than the Powerline. And no cost. No need for a main network. Once again, if you have a router just try it.

One factor to consider, if you have fast broadband, your current plugs have 100 Mbps LAN sockets, new ones have 1000 Mbps.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: Advice on extending powerline network

You can use a Powerline plug to extend the network to the shed. I have done that. But the quality and speed you get will depend on the wiring. If it goes through a second fuse box you may lose performance.

Sadly, Netgear, and other plug makers, don't like selling single plugs.

There are later models. They will all work with your plugs. Some are faster but you will be limited to the speed of the slower devices.

Plugs remember their settings, why not take the wifi plug you have indoors and try it in the shed? If it does what you want, you are in business and can buy some more plugs.

You say the shed has Ethernet. Is that Ethernet into the house? If so, then an old router might be just as good. Better even, because the LAN should be faster than the Powerline. And no cost. No need for a main network. Once again, if you have a router just try it.

One factor to consider, if you have fast broadband, your current plugs have 100 Mbps LAN sockets, new ones have 1000 Mbps.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7