× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Amazon Fire TV

Surfrat96
Aspirant

Amazon Fire TV

I purchased the Powerline 1200. As the directions stated, I plugged one adapter with an ethernet into the router/modem. The other is for my Fire TV box which I have the other adapter into the wall with the eternet running right into the Fire TV box. I'm receiving 3 solid green lights on both adaptors. My problem is when I'm watching the Fire TV it's still running off of the wifi which is very weak where my TV is, whidh is why I bought the adaptors.

My question is, how do I receive the ethernet connection, and not the wifi? The ethernet is connected directly from the Powerline adaptor into the Fire TV box, the Fire TV is then connected to my AVR via HDMI as is my DVD player, and turntable. Yesterday when I put on the Fire TV it said on the screen that it lost it's connection and then found my wifi and connected. Why doesn't it pick up the LAN through the ethernet cable? So confused, thanks for any help

Message 1 of 10
netwrks
Master

Re: Amazon Fire TV

Check your TV manual set up. If the TV is connected to WIFI, then it's the TV config.

Message 2 of 10
clithes
Prodigy

On your Amazon Fire TV, go into 'Settings' then 'Network'.  At the top right hand side of the screen does it say Wired (Connected) or Wireless (Connected).

If it's wireless, configure your connection to wired from here.  However, I was under the impression that the Fire TV would default to wired if a LAN connection was detected.

Message 3 of 10
Surfrat96
Aspirant

It's not the TV. Originally I connected the HDMI directly into the TV and it showed that it was wired and everything was perfect until I tried to play the sound through the AVR and it wouldn't. Sound would only come out of the TV. I was advised to run the HDMI from the Fire TV into the HDMI in the back of the receiver, which I did and now the sound comes out through the receiver, but the connection is now wifi?

Message 4 of 10
clithes
Prodigy

and what does it say when you go into settings then network on the Fire TV?  Have you tried to configure the connection?

Message 5 of 10

I have a question about these "TV boxes".

I assume that they have an HDMI connection to the TV. Does the box provide an Internet connection to a smart TV? Or does it need its own link? Or is the "smart" bit of the TV redundant?

I ask because I have seen several messages around here suggesting that the box delivers the Internet and that the TV gets the Internet over the HDMI.

Message 6 of 10
clithes
Prodigy

The Amazon Fire TV has ethernet and wifi connections, the Fire Stick has just wifi.

They connect to the Internet to provide content from amazon, and simply supply this to any TV with an hdmi connection.

So the TV, smart or not, doesn't really do anything other than present the video and audio signal like it would with a blu-ray player.  It doesn't receive an Internet connection through hdmi

Message 7 of 10

Thanks. That explains things.

So if someone does want to use a smart TV with one of these boxes for some reason, the TV needs a separate Internet connection.

I ask these questions partly because I don't own a TV. I use a smart BluRay player for BBC iPlayer, Amazon and the like. I connect the output to a PC monitor.

Some of the questions I have seen here don't make it clear if the Internet connection to their box/TV combination is through the box or the TV.

Message 8 of 10
clithes
Prodigy

Yes the Smart TV would need a separate internet connection to take advantage of it's own smart features.

Message 9 of 10

Thanks. That could be useful information when people turn up here with questions about different combinations of smart TV and dektop box.

This makes those dual-LAN plugs more useful for people who want to powerline a TV and a box.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7