× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Any alternative to a Netgear XWN5001 extender?

Nick71
Aspirant

Any alternative to a Netgear XWN5001 extender?

I have a Netgear Powerline AV500 setup, with an XAV5201 taking the signal from my router to the electricity mains plug and a XWN5001 plugged into the mains in another room.  I need just one other XWN5001 for another room, but Netgear now only sells them in packs of two.  I am now trying to find a single XWN5001 on the internet, but with no luck so far. Would any other Netgear extender work with this setup?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Nick71
Aspirant

Re: Any alternative to a Netgear XWN5001 extender?

Netgear were not prepared to sell me a single Netgear XWN5001 extender,and buying their pack of two would have been an unnecessary expense.  I turned to eBay. There I have been able to buy a new single Netgear XWN5001 extender at less than half the Netgear price for two!!  Thus my dealing with Netgear has been a disappointing experience and I shall think twice before buying another Netgear product.

View solution in original post

Model: XWN5001|Powerline 500 WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Nick71,

NETGEAR Extenders will not work with powerline adapters. They are using different setup.

Message 2 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi Nick71,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 5
Nick71
Aspirant

Netgear were not prepared to sell me a single Netgear XWN5001 extender,and buying their pack of two would have been an unnecessary expense.  I turned to eBay. There I have been able to buy a new single Netgear XWN5001 extender at less than half the Netgear price for two!!  Thus my dealing with Netgear has been a disappointing experience and I shall think twice before buying another Netgear product.

Model: XWN5001|Powerline 500 WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 5

None of the major makers of powerline plugs sell singletons. It isn't just Netgear. Just check the usual retail outlets. That's why people have to turn to "second hand" sources or to lesser brands.

I guess it is because the makers don't want the hassle of dealing with people who don't know how to set up these things. This is frustrating, especially when you want to buy a single Powerline wireless access point, or a plug with dual LAN.

The good news is that if a plug follows the AV specification you can mix different makes and different speeds on a single network. They will all work at the speed of the slowest plugs, but they will work.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7