× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best way to extend PLW1000v2 WIFI coverage

AWW47
Aspirant

Best way to extend PLW1000v2 WIFI coverage

I need to extend the coverage that my existing PLW1000V2 (accesspoint) extender provides. Its not clear from the Installation instructions how best to achieve this . I want to have additional remote WIFI connections and not have to plug devices in. Can anyone advise please?

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Best way to extend PLW1000v2 WIFI coverage

@AWW47 wrote:

Thanks for reply. I just want to extend the wifi coverage from the exisiting PLW1000v2. My unertstanding is the  powerline extenders require devices to plug in to the ethernet connection...I want the extended area to be wifi.

Your understanding is correct. If you want to cover a bigger wifi area, Powerline extenders need more AP plugs.

The only ways I can think of to get one Powerline AP to cover a wider area is to get a wifi extender that latches on to the wifi from the AP and acts as a repeater "bridge" between the Powerline AP and wifi clients in the area you want to reach.

You can see Netgear's range of extenders here:

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

Most of those will work in both repeater (bridge) mode and as an AP with a wired Ethernet connection to the router.

A plain, non AP, Powerline plug can also act as the Ethernet connection to the router.

I have not tried using a Powerline AP as the host for a wifi repeater. So I have no idea how hard it would be to set up.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

Can you explain what you want to do. Take this bit:

@AWW47 wrote:

I want to have additional remote WIFI connections and not have to plug devices in.

Do you want do add new wifi sources to cover a wider area? Or do you just want to connect more devices (wifi clients)  to your network?

To make extend the coverage from the PLW1000v2 you could investigate wifi extenders. These can take the wifi from your plug and pass it on to other clients.

But getting those to play nicely with a Powerline wifi plug might not be easy. It will depend on the wifi clients you buy.

Another option could be to use ordinary (non wifi) Powerline plugs and to use them to feed wireless access points that connect to the router over the Powerline network. Most devices sold as extenders will also operating in AP mode.

Message 2 of 4
AWW47
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. I just want to extend the wifi coverage from the exisiting PLW1000v2. My uner

@michaelkenward wrote:

@AWW47 wrote:

I want to have additional remote WIFI connections and not have to plug devices in.

Do you want do add new wifi sources to cover a wider area? Or do you just want to connect more devices (wifi clients)  to your network?

To make extend the coverage from the PLW1000v2 you could investigate wifi extenders. These can take the wifi from your plug and pass it on to other clients.

But getting those to play nicely with a Powerline wifi plug might not be easy. It will depend on the wifi clients you buy.

Another option could be to use ordinary (non wifi) Powerline plugs and to use them to feed wireless access points that connect to the router over the Powerline network. Most devices sold as extenders will also operating in AP mode.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@AWW47 wrote:

tstanding is the  powerline extenders require devices to plug in to the ethernet connection...I want the extended area to be wifi.

Message 3 of 4

@AWW47 wrote:

Thanks for reply. I just want to extend the wifi coverage from the exisiting PLW1000v2. My unertstanding is the  powerline extenders require devices to plug in to the ethernet connection...I want the extended area to be wifi.

Your understanding is correct. If you want to cover a bigger wifi area, Powerline extenders need more AP plugs.

The only ways I can think of to get one Powerline AP to cover a wider area is to get a wifi extender that latches on to the wifi from the AP and acts as a repeater "bridge" between the Powerline AP and wifi clients in the area you want to reach.

You can see Netgear's range of extenders here:

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

Most of those will work in both repeater (bridge) mode and as an AP with a wired Ethernet connection to the router.

A plain, non AP, Powerline plug can also act as the Ethernet connection to the router.

I have not tried using a Powerline AP as the host for a wifi repeater. So I have no idea how hard it would be to set up.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7