× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Buying PLP 1200 with multiple access points

SazzaF
Aspirant

Buying PLP 1200 with multiple access points

Mostly naive user here so this is probably a dumb question.  I want to have an Powerline network with one unit connected to the router/modem then 3 other points around the house that allow for ethernet connection and also wifi in that area.  (The problem is an older house with thick walls and relatively long distances between so wifi coverage is not strong at extreme ends of it)

This one gives the ethernet capacity but does it also give wifi in the space it's in?  (Really dumb question I know but it doesn't say it explicitly anywhere and I don't want to assume - I want to plug my Apple TV into it by Ethernet plus connect Ipad via wifi in the same room)

NETGEAR PLP1200-100UKS 1200 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter Homeplug, Pass Through/Extra Outlet (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port) – Twin Pack

If it doesn't what will give me the wifi capacity.  Also, what do I buy to add two more access points to the network - the same thing again, then do the "Adding to the network" thing?

I'm slightly confused because I'm currently using a XWNB5201 500m pair, and the bit that goes on the router and the bit by the TV look different?  Also, I realise I could add something to this existing network but I'm starting again from scratch to speed everything up.

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buying PLP 1200 with multiple access points

@SazzaF wrote:

Mostly naive user here so this is probably a dumb question.  I want to have an Powerline network with one unit connected to the router/modem then 3 other points around the house that allow for ethernet connection and also wifi in that area.  (The problem is an older house with thick walls and relatively long distances between so wifi coverage is not strong at extreme ends of it)

Nothing dumb about it at all. But I am not sure that I understand the whole question.

It is easy to do what you want. I've done it.

Connect one plug to the router and then add plugs to that. Here you need to follow these instructions:

>>>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<<<

The problem comes when trying to lay your hands on extra wifi plugs. If you get  two twin-packs, you will have two wifi plugs and two "wire-less" plugs. If that is enough, which it should be, fine. If not then you might want to think about another option. Buy a standalone wifi access point and feed it from one of the "wire-less" plugs.

You can use plugs as wired and wifi at the same time. So the TV is plugged in while other stuff eats the wifi from the same plug.

You'll need to buy plugs that promise to deliver wifi. If they don't say that, then they don't.

You should be able to work it out from the model number. PLP isn't wireless. PLPW is wireless. The W is the giveaway.

You can find what you want by ticking the appropriate boxes here:

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR UK

@SazzaF wrote:

I'm slightly confused because I'm currently using a XWNB5201 500m pair, and the bit that goes on the router and the bit by the TV look different? 

That's because one has wifi the other doesn't. Again, the W is the sign of a wifi bundle. But these pairs come with only one wifi source. They probably assume that the router delivers wifi at that end.

By the way, if you add "1000" plugs to your existing "500" plugs, the speed will be slower than you would get with only 1000s, which have faster communication over the power circuit. That doesn't really matter.

If you are connecting a PC to one of your plugs, then it might be better to use a 1000 for that because the PC is likely to have a LAN socket that works at 1000 Mbps. The LAN bit of the 500s only works at  100 Mbps.

But that's probably getting too complicated.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: Buying PLP 1200 with multiple access points

@SazzaF wrote:

Nothing dumb about it at all. But I am not sure that I understand the whole question.

It is easy to do what you want. I've done it.

Connect one plug to the router and then add plugs to that. Here you need to follow these instructions:

>>>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<<<

The problem comes when trying to lay your hands on extra wifi plugs. If you get  two twin-packs, you will have two wifi plugs and two "wire-less" plugs. If that is enough, which it should be, fine. If not then you might want to think about another option. Buy a standalone wifi access point and feed it from one of the "wire-less" plugs.

You can use plugs as wired and wifi at the same time. So the TV is plugged in while other stuff eats the wifi from the same plug.

You'll need to buy plugs that promise to deliver wifi. If they don't say that, then they don't.

You should be able to work it out from the model number. PLP isn't wireless. PLPW is wireless. The W is the giveaway.

You can find what you want by ticking the appropriate boxes here:

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR UK

@SazzaF wrote:

I'm slightly confused because I'm currently using a XWNB5201 500m pair, and the bit that goes on the router and the bit by the TV look different? 

That's because one has wifi the other doesn't. Again, the W is the sign of a wifi bundle. But these pairs come with only one wifi source. They probably assume that the router delivers wifi at that end.

By the way, if you add "1000" plugs to your existing "500" plugs, the speed will be slower than you would get with only 1000s, which have faster communication over the power circuit. That doesn't really matter.

If you are connecting a PC to one of your plugs, then it might be better to use a 1000 for that because the PC is likely to have a LAN socket that works at 1000 Mbps. The LAN bit of the 500s only works at  100 Mbps.

But that's probably getting too complicated.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7