× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can the 2 ports on the PLP2000 endpoint adapter "talk" directly to each other?

stereojeff
Aspirant

Can the 2 ports on the PLP2000 endpoint adapter "talk" directly to each other?

Am setting up a very upscale audio system that uses a server and streamer that don't do WiFi.  So my preferred option is the buy the PLP2000 (disregard stated model number above, could not enter PLP2000), or wait 2 months for my electrician to route ethernet cable.  Both server and streamer have a single ethernet port.  Server needs the port for wireless control, updates/uploads, and connecting to the streamer.  So the plan is the connect both to the endpoint adapter.  My question is: can the signal go from the server to the streamer going only through the endpoint adapter that they'd both be connected to or would the signal go all the way through the router.  (For the sake of purity of audio signal would prefer the former.)  

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 5

Re: Can the 2 ports on the PLP2000 endpoint adapter "talk" directly to each other?

Not sure that I follow, a diagram would help, but the "remote" plug with two ethernet ports

PLP2000 | Powerline | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

works though the router.

The two ports won't talk to each other so much as work like everything else on the network and talk through the router. The devices on them have to get an IP address from somewhere, and the plugs don't do that.

Maybe even a small switch would work. I haven't tried that with powerline.

Message 2 of 5
stereojeff
Aspirant

Re: Can the 2 ports on the PLP2000 endpoint adapter "talk" directly to each other?

Thanks for the reply.  I think you understand the intent of my posting.  As an audio purist, I should hardwire but my electrician can't do the installation until January, so the server vendor suggested HomePlug technology as neither the server nor the streamer have a wireless option. So was hoping that the two devices connected to the two ports on the PLP2000 would have  a direct connection going just through the endpoint adapter without traveling via hundreds of feet of house wiring back and forth through the router.

Unfortunately your answer makes sense and in hindsight the whole HomePlug approach 'scares' me as an audio purist.

Message 3 of 5

@stereojeff wrote:

Unfortunately your answer makes sense and in hindsight the whole HomePlug approach 'scares' me as an audio purist.

I doubt very much if you'll notice any impact on your audio.

The bandwidth needed for audio is minimal. If people mange to stream video over powerline, as I do, then audio is a piece of cake. I've done that too, albeit not over mile long links.

Anyone even willing to contemplate using wifi should find Powerline satisfactory.

The real problem is more likely to be the quality of the mains circuit.

Message 4 of 5
stereojeff
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

Our mains should be in great shape: house was built 14 years ago with all 12 gauge wiring, 20 amp minimum breakers, lots of circuits (have sub-panel), and a tough electrical inspector. 

Understand the comparitive demands between video and audio, but you say "manage" and I'm seeking near perfection (nothing is perfect).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7