× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Connect to Powerline 1000 (PLW 1010) WiFi Access Point

REPEATOFFENDER
Aspirant

Cannot Connect to Powerline 1000 (PLW 1010) WiFi Access Point

I just installed a PLW 1010 in my condo apartment.

I want to connect my Panasonic Viera TV to my network wirelessly.

My DSL router is located in a room at the opposite end of the apartment from the TV and the WiFi signal strength is quite variable.

I have the PLW access point plugged into a wall socket in the same room as  the TV.

The Powerline light is green which I believe means the network connection is good.

Both 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz _EXT SSIDs are visble and have the strongest signal on the TV network setup menu, but I am unable to connect using either the WPS feature or manually.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have to solve this problem.

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Re: Cannot Connect to Powerline 1000 (PLW 1010) WiFi Access Point

@REPEATOFFENDER wrote:
The Powerline light is green which I believe means the network connection is good.

Which light? There are four of them.

If other equipment can see the wifi, and connect to it, then the TV is where the issue lies. My experience is that TV makers are hopeless when it comes to devising user friendly wifi connections.

In your shoes the "no-brainer" option is to use a powerline plug for the TV. After all, the TV stays put and powerline, once set up, is more reliable and less prone to interference than wifi. It is also easier to set up a wired connection.

I have used both and would never go back to wifi.

Message 2 of 4
REPEATOFFENDER
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response.

Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply but life has been getting in the way.

The reason I need to use WIFI is that there is no way to conceal the ethernet line for the PLW 1000 to the TV and my spouse is a fanatic about wires  for anything trailing across the floor or being visible at all. So I must use wifi if we want to watch Netflix.

I must also apologize for being a complete airhead.

I copied the MAC address, SSID and KEY from the back of the unit into the quick start guide before I plugged the unit into the wall.
Then I got distracted and didn't finish the installation.
When I tried to set up the TV connection a few days later I completely forgot what I had done and was flailing about trying different passwords to no avail. In frustration I sent out my SOS to the Community.

I now realize that my problem is lousy short term memory. I was not entering the correct password when prompted by the TV.

I have since employed the correct key and everything is working fine.

thanks for your help.
Message 3 of 4

@REPEATOFFENDER wrote:
The reason I need to use WIFI is that there is no way to conceal the ethernet line for the PLW 1000 to the TV and my spouse is a fanatic about wires  for anything trailing across the floor or being visible at all. So I must use wifi if we want to watch Netflix.

How do you get power to the TV? With a pass-through powerline plug, the mains can come out of the same socket as the LAN and you can twist the two wires together to look like a single connection.

But if wifi works, fine. It is just harder to set up and less reliable than LAN.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7