× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Compatibility of XAVB101 V1 & V2

Orangeboot
Follower

Compatibility of XAVB101 V1 & V2

I have been unable to find the answer to this problem searching the forum, so here goes. I have a number of XAVB101 V1 plugs which have worked flawlessly in my house with a roaming wireless network connected by the XAVB101s provided by an Apple Time capsule & Airport Extreme.

I needed an additional connection for an internet enabled TV & so bought another one XAVB101 V2. The Netgear website states that they are compatible with each other, but as soon as I plugged in a V2 model I had network issues specifically that the roaming network ceased to function, it would connect to the internet but it wasn't possible to get an IP for any DHCP reliant device from the second base station and a switch on the network needed rebooting every few minutes. I rewrote the network config multiple times to no avail. Only by removing the V2 plugs could I get my network back to it's normal stable state, but my problem is how to now extend the access points on the network and with what product. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Message 1 of 18
KevLutz
Aspirant

Re: Compatibility of XAVB101 V1 & V2

I own two XAV1004 hubs and one XAV101v1. They have been working very well for the past year. I also need to expand and purchased two XAV101V2 adapters that are supposed to be compatible with my previous set-up, but I can't get the old devices to communicate with the new devices. I check for the latest firmware on all devices, but still can't get them to work together eventhough the documentation says they would be compatible.

Please help or I will have to return these devices and find some older models.

Thanks
Message 2 of 18
Tim_S
Aspirant

XAVB101 V1 & V2 do seem to be incomparable.

I too had been using a pair of V1 for 9 months without any problems, I needed to expand my network so ordered another pair of XAVB101 and I revived V2's I plugged one in and the network kept dying, I took out a V1 and tried using 2 V2's and a V1, the network was still VERY unstable.

Needing my network I had to buy some more V2's.

Now with everything on V2 the network is once again stable.
Message 3 of 18
roderick
Aspirant

KevLutz wrote:
I own two XAV1004 hubs and one XAV101v1. They have been working very well for the past year. I also need to expand and purchased two XAV101V2 adapters that are supposed to be compatible with my previous set-up, but I can't get the old devices to communicate with the new devices. I check for the latest firmware on all devices, but still can't get them to work together eventhough the documentation says they would be compatible.

Please help or I will have to return these devices and find some older models.

Thanks

Same set-up and same version incompatibility. I have one 1004 hub and two v1 101s, the grey/white models. The original box said XAVB101.

Upstairs: 101v1 -> router
Basement: 1004 hub

I can take the other 101v1 to any room in the house and will have Internet access. The BD player, DishTV box, and server in the basement are hooked into the 1004 hub and they have Internet access just fine.

Got a new set that also said XAVB101, except this box is smaller and the pair are all white. Checked the labels and they said XAV101v2. Neither worked with the current set-up in any room. Installed and ran the XAV101 utility and it will not detect the v2 devices. Installed and ran the XAV101v2 utility and it will not detect the v1 devices. But each utility will detect its own version devices. So it looks like I will have to return the v2 devices and hunt for the older models.

Are there any Netgear people checking this forum?
Message 4 of 18
Tim_S
Aspirant

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15500
2. Is XAV101v2 compatible to HomePlug 1.0 adapters?

No. XAV101v2 is not compatible with HomePlug 1.0. XAV101 is only compatible with HomePlug AV devices. Besides, we don’t recommend to put XAV101v2 devices at the co-existence environment with HomePlug 1.0 adapters. The throughput will be impacted by HomePlug 1.0 adapters.

Looks like my V1's are going on ebay
Message 5 of 18
roderick
Aspirant

^^^ But both XAV101v1 and XAV101v2 are supposed to be HomePlug AV compliant.
Message 6 of 18
ejd123
Aspirant

UN-believable!

I have had a pair of XAV101v1's for over a year now working perfectly. I bought another pair to add a couple of more nodes, and sure enough they are V2's and apparently incompatible with the V1's.

Just as others in this thread reported, the V1's can see each other, and the V2's can see each other, but none of them can see the other version. Likewise, the V1 config utility can only see the V1's and the V2 config utility can only see the V2's. If even the configuration utilities can't see all the devices, that leads me to believe that this is a known -- but not advertised! -- incompatibility.

This is totally unacceptable. These devices are supposed to be compliant with any powerline AV devices, let alone two versions from the same manufacturer bearing the same model number! For pete's sake, if you're going to make them incompatible at LEAST change the model number so that we have a clue! What are those of us who bought v1's supposed to do, Netgear, just throw them away and start over?!

The Netgear powerline av adapters have received rave reviews on major retailer sites (amazon and newegg to name a couple) for years. Netgear is about to throw all that hard-earned positive reputation away if there is no resolution for this gross incompatibility issue. I cannot believe they chose to burn their customers like this without even warning us.
Message 7 of 18
A2MAN
Aspirant

Let me echo these reports and a similar report that is now on the Newegg web site.

I attempted to expand a system consisting of four grey v1 devices, but received the white v2 version from Newegg in a purchase this month. It was not described on the web site as being v2 or otherwise any different from v1, except for its color.

The v1s have worked transparently and flawlessly for the past 18 months.

The v2s connect to the system, which has a v1 attached to the router. However, they run at a slower speed (almost always red) and then intermittently drop out entirely and need to be unplugged and reinserted. The Netgear utility that came with the v1 sees the v1 adapters, but not the V2s. The Netgear utility that came with the v2s does not see any of the units of either type. The v2s are essentially unusable and are being returned.

The v2s also lack the automatic sleep mode of the v1s so they are warm even when not in use and clearly wasting power.

Since vendors are not labeling their stock as v1 or v2 (probably because they have not been alerted the the difference and the incompatibility) it now seems to be a crapshoot as to whether one receives a workable device for a v1 system.

Does anyone know whether this issue affects the next level up XAV2001 adapaters that are also supposed to fully HomePlug AV compliant?
Message 8 of 18
tgt
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is disgraceful! I ordered two new V1s from Amazon to go with my existing four V1s. Two V2s arrived today, even though the product I clicked on at Amazon was without doubt the V1 version and illustrated as such. Just as others are reporting, the V1 configuration software can't see the V2s.

What on earth is Netgear thinking, making two incompatible products with the same product number? I have a basement full of Netgear hardware, wired routers, wireless routers, NAS, and switches, but unless this incompetence is fixed and fixed quickly I've bought my last Netgear product.
Message 9 of 18

ejd123 wrote:
UN-believable!

I have had a pair of XAV101v1's for over a year now working perfectly. I bought another pair to add a couple of more nodes, and sure enough they are V2's and apparently incompatible with the V1's.

Just as others in this thread reported, the V1's can see each other, and the V2's can see each other, but none of them can see the other version. Likewise, the V1 config utility can only see the V1's and the V2 config utility can only see the V2's. If even the configuration utilities can't see all the devices, that leads me to believe that this is a known -- but not advertised! -- incompatibility.

This is totally unacceptable. These devices are supposed to be compliant with any powerline AV devices, let alone two versions from the same manufacturer bearing the same model number! For pete's sake, if you're going to make them incompatible at LEAST change the model number so that we have a clue! What are those of us who bought v1's supposed to do, Netgear, just throw them away and start over?!

The Netgear powerline av adapters have received rave reviews on major retailer sites (amazon and newegg to name a couple) for years. Netgear is about to throw all that hard-earned positive reputation away if there is no resolution for this gross incompatibility issue. I cannot believe they chose to burn their customers like this without even warning us.

This is strange....my XAV101v1 (f/w v0.2.0.3) works great with XAV101v2 (f/w v2.0.14/01-07)......wut iz ur f/w version (can be viewed on the configuration utility) you have installed in ur environment???
Message 10 of 18
lukoluko
Aspirant

Orangeboot wrote:
I have been unable to find the answer to this problem searching the forum, so here goes. I have a number of XAVB101 V1 plugs which have worked flawlessly in my house with a roaming wireless network connected by the XAVB101s provided by an Apple Time capsule & Airport Extreme.

I needed an additional connection for an internet enabled TV & so bought another one XAVB101 V2. The Netgear website states that they are compatible with each other, but as soon as I plugged in a V2 model I had network issues specifically that the roaming network ceased to function, it would connect to the internet but it wasn't possible to get an IP for any DHCP reliant device from the second base station and a switch on the network needed rebooting every few minutes. I rewrote the network config multiple times to no avail. Only by removing the V2 plugs could I get my network back to it's normal stable state, but my problem is how to now extend the access points on the network and with what product. Any advice would be much appreciated.
I also have 2 V1s and 2 V2s. At first they were not working together. I did a factory reset on all units and now everthing's ok. When doing the reset, all units were connected to an Ethernet device.
Message 11 of 18

I'm having the same issues on my home.
Had two v1's, bought two v2's and the network has become very unstable. 😞

Is there no solution to this apart from ditching my old v1's?
Message 12 of 18
cverrier
Aspirant

I just got off the phone with Netgear.

A categorical statement from a senior engineer who just took my escalated call.

"The XAV101v1 is not compatible with the XAV101v2 - They use different frequencies and your network will ONLY work if all the models are identical."

My XAV101v2 are now being packed up and are going back to Amazon today for a refund.
Message 13 of 18
cverrier
Aspirant

And as an update.....

I managed to find some XAV101v1 units on eBay - They arrived today, and I had a fully operational network running inside five minutes (Three green lights - all running in excess of 100mbps). All the units also appeared instantly in the Netgear configuration utility.

This clearly demonstrates to me that all my problems with the v2 units were nothing to do with my wiring or any other factor. The v1 and v2 units just don't talk to each other reliably.

When hunting for v1 units - the side panel of the box (with the 'Easy Setup' diagrams on it) has the product code 'XAV101' written in orange at the top. The v2 units have 'XAV101v2'. This also applies to the product code written on the back of the unit itself.
Message 14 of 18
adamatic550
Novice

Hey guys. I encountered the same problem. Didn't feel like tracking down more v1 adapters, so I upgraded the whole system to v2. If anyone happens to be looking for more v1's, I put mine on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140572037704#ht_870wt_1122
Message 15 of 18
d123
Aspirant

I've just been trying to add a pair of V2's to my existing V1's... Half an hour of pressing buttons, factory resets and faffing around before reading the postings here. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've got them talking though. I manually set all the adapters to the same encrypyion key. They're now chirping away to each other.

However, I notice the speed drops from green to red very occasionally, so I may well have the same reliability issues others have mentioned. They'll suffice for the job at hand though.
Message 16 of 18
BID0
Aspirant

Same here. I bought some v2 a few months ago and they seemed to work just fine for the first few weeks. They were installed at my parents house alone with 2x v1 units. Then we got the packet loss problems that everyone else has got.

By the time I figured out that v1 and v2's aren't compatible it was past the 30 days and the online shop I bought it from refused to take them back :mad:

For anyone here in the UK that may be reading this... I am looking for either a twinpack v1 or v2 units. I will swap for the other type as I have 2x v1's and 2x v2's and really need 4 of one kind.

Needless to say, I will not be buying anymore Netgear stuff in the future even if they work out cheapest. False economy when this kind of thing happens!!
Message 17 of 18
Imogen123
Aspirant

I have two hubs and a XAV1004 XAV101v1. They have worked well for the past year. I also need to expand and bought two XAV101V2 adapters, which are intended to be compatible with the previous definition, but I do not get the old machine can be connected to new devices. I checked the latest firmware on all devices, but still can not get them to work together, even though the documentation says that would be compatible.
Tera Online Gold
Buy RS Gold
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7