× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting PL1000v2 to router lowers internet speed, Pick-a-plug suddenly became permanently red

Wryfyng
Follower

Connecting PL1000v2 to router lowers internet speed, Pick-a-plug suddenly became permanently red

I bought a PL1000v2 and a PLW1000v2 10 months ago. They worked perfectly until this weekend.

Suddenly I started noticing bad internet speed and connection going down. When I checked the adapters both had red light on the Pick-a-Plug button, before, it was green.

At first I thought it was a router issue because its connection was also very bad, but after disconnecting the ethernet cable from the PL1000v2, the Standard router wifi speed went back to normal (300MBps ethernet, 50MBps wifi). I have tried plugging the PL1000v2 to different wall plugs and the 3 issues persist:

1- Red light on the Pick-a-Plug button on both PL1000v2 and PLW1000v2 (I have read this just mean that connection <50Mbps, but that shouldn't and didn't happen before).

2- Standard router wifi speed goes down significantly (from 50MBps to <10MBps).

3- The PLW1000v2 wifi speed is intermitent and very low (<5MBps).

Any clue about how could I solve this issue?

Thank you

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting PL1000v2 to router lowers internet speed, Pick-a-plug suddenly became permanently red

Many things impact powerline devices because they can inject interference into the powerline system. 

These include:

Electronics going bad

surge protectors

arc fault circuits

gfci outlets

cheap/poorly made electronics

high draw appliances

some  cell phone chargers 

old/bad/shoddy wiring

extended runs

Basically anything thats plugged into your power in your home could cause issues if something is going wrong with them. Or the adapters could be going bad. Its challenging to test because of how many devices can cause issues. I usually tell people to connect the powerline devices on the same circuit and see how they perform. On the same circuit they'll have the best connection. Not saying that something isn't broadcasting enough interference to impact that but its your best way to test a set of powerline devices without bringing them elsewhere. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7