× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connection difficulties with 2x Powerline AV 200 adapters

xtremepercy
Aspirant

Connection difficulties with 2x Powerline AV 200 adapters

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this,

Im having some difficulty in determining whats wrong with my powerline adapters and their setup so was hoping to get some help. I have internet connected with a modem connected to a DLINK DIR-615 wireless router which supplies the house with wireless. My computer is out of range of the wireless so ive purchased a netgear starter set containing two XAV2001 adapters and 2 ethernet cables and plugged them in, one going from the router to the wall and the other upstairs next to my computer and plugged in there. The computer im using is using Windows 7 64bit. There are computers connecting to the router wirelessly and getting perfectly good internet speeds so I dont think the problem lies with the router.

At first this was working just fine until the connection began to break and drop out constantly around the 18th of december. As it was christmas and i was busy with other things I didnt really have time to troubleshoot the problem until yesterday when i got back onto the computer again and everything seemed to be back working fine and continued to do so all day. However having been using the computer again this morning im again back to the same issue I had. The two devices have 3 lights all of which light up for about 10 to 15 seconds when first switching them on but then the middle disapears (the powerline connection light) and drops out after that point and doesnt come back on. As I understand it that means that because theres no light in the middle theres no connection between the powerline units, but the 3rd light is still active which should mean data is being sent between them? :confused: On the computer itself its saying that there is "no network access...." and when i go through the windows connection repair it says ""Local Area Connection" doesnt have a valid IP address".

Things ive tried to resolve the issue:
1)plugged the adaptors in close within the same room to see if range is the problem but the problem persists no matter how close they are.
2)checked IP settings on the computer and all is set to find automatically.
3)Reset the IP address and thats done nothing.
4)Reset all the devices on the network and done a power cycle.

Ive done an ipconfig all from cmd.exe to hopefully provide some additional information as when looking up the problem elsewhere people have done the same. I hope someone can provide some information to help me, Thanks in advance.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ElliotsDesktop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-83-11-4B-3B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-AE-C5-99-0A-30
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::947e:49c7:1339:1690%11(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.22.144(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 247246533
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-D1-C5-7A-BC-AE-C5-99-0A-30

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{6600311A-2B44-4512-8580-85106EEC138F}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.{B10DD8D4-D970-4E41-B466-34A8922A8180}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

C:\Windows\system32>
Message 1 of 20
xtremepercy
Aspirant

Just to add the devices arent plugged into any extention leads
Message 2 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

surge strips will not work.

it needs to be directly to the wall mount unless you are using simple extension cable or extension cable is not coming off surge strips or UPS
Message 3 of 20
xtremepercy
Aspirant

Yes they're connected directly to the wall, any other ideas?
Message 4 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would test in the same room
Message 5 of 20
xtremepercy
Aspirant

I have done that and the issue persists as stated in the original post
Message 6 of 20
xtremepercy
Aspirant

I have done that and the issue persists as stated in the original post
Message 7 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

did you check from the pc behind the router and see both device is connected with the utility?

seems like remote end unit could be on a fritz
Message 8 of 20
xtremepercy
Aspirant

They werent connected on the utility no but since posting theyve just randomly began to work again and ive not had any issues since the 5th. I can post an ipconfig from when theyre working if that will help but it just seems as though either one of the adaptors is temporarily playing up or theres some strange variable that keeps affecting their connection every now and then.
Message 9 of 20
JeTmAn81
Novice

FYI, I have been having pretty much the same issues with my AV200. I installed the adapters back in November, and they've been working great until earlier this week when the connection dropped. At first I wasn't sure if it was the powerline adapter or some other part of my network, but after much fiddling around with various components I finally reset both adapters to factory settings, re-paired them and they started working again.

Until last night, when they stopped working again and that same process did not revive them. So my thinking is that it's pretty clear that it's the Netgear adapters which are the problem, since multiple other devices connected to my network via wireless and wired connections are working fine. I even switched over my Playstation 3 (the device which is using the powerline adapter) to wireless, and that was able to connect to the internet just fine, albeit with a pretty slow connection, which is the reason I got powerline adapters for it in the first place.

So it's the same issue but unfortunately I have no idea why it's happening. There have been a few things added to my house's electrical grid lately (heaters, a computer, etc.) but I don't know if that would be enough to choke out the available bandwidth or something like that.
Message 10 of 20
JeTmAn81
Novice

xtremepercy wrote:
They werent connected on the utility no but since posting theyve just randomly began to work again and ive not had any issues since the 5th. I can post an ipconfig from when theyre working if that will help but it just seems as though either one of the adaptors is temporarily playing up or theres some strange variable that keeps affecting their connection every now and then.

FYI, I have been having pretty much the same issues with my AV200. I installed the adapters back in November, and they've been working great until earlier this week when the connection dropped. At first I wasn't sure if it was the powerline adapter or some other part of my network, but after much fiddling around with various components I finally reset both adapters to factory settings, re-paired them and they started working again.

Until last night, when they stopped working again and that same process did not revive them. So my thinking is that it's pretty clear that it's the Netgear adapters which are the problem, since multiple other devices connected to my network via wireless and wired connections are working fine. I even switched over my Playstation 3 (the device which is using the powerline adapter) to wireless, and that was able to connect to the internet just fine, albeit with a pretty slow connection, which is the reason I got powerline adapters for it in the first place.

So it's the same issue but unfortunately I have no idea why it's happening. There have been a few things added to my house's electrical grid lately (heaters, a computer, etc.) but I don't know if that would be enough to choke out the available bandwidth or something like that.
Message 11 of 20
xtremepercy
Aspirant

My issue has now stopped and recently they seem to be working perfectly fine. The only issue I have had is with the connection dropping when downloading files really fast. This makes me wonder whether mine has just been breaking when Im transferring alot of data between them.
Id like to try and help by telling you how i solved my issue but the problem just seemed to resolve itself and was seemingly completely unrelated to any kind of electrical products being used, and I didnt really change any settings at all. The only thing I could think off was that maybe my neighbors were using something that interferes with the connection intermittantly but even so it was always at different times and with seemingly random occurances.
I think now ive just accepted that its a new technology that isnt reliable so im just going to enjoy it working while it does and not worry about it too much when its down! It seems to fix itself eventually usually anyway. Sorry i cant be of more help and apologies for grammer etc.as im posting from a phone.
Message 12 of 20
xtremepercy
Aspirant

My issue has now stopped and recently they seem to be working perfectly fine. The only issue I have had is with the connection dropping when downloading files really fast. This makes me wonder whether mine has just been breaking when Im transferring alot of data between them.
Id like to try and help by telling you how i solved my issue but the problem just seemed to resolve itself and was seemingly completely unrelated to any kind of electrical products being used, and I didnt really change any settings at all. The only thing I could think off was that maybe my neighbors were using something that interferes with the connection intermittantly but even so it was always at different times and with seemingly random occurances.
I think now ive just accepted that its a new technology that isnt reliable so im just going to enjoy it working while it does and not worry about it too much when its down! It seems to fix itself eventually usually anyway. Sorry i cant be of more help and apologies for grammer etc.as im posting from a phone.
Message 13 of 20
PhuKew
Novice

I've researched this problem [Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration] and have yet to find a solution. I've tried all the suggestions i've found, none work. I have four powerline adapters but can not get more than two to work at the same time. The addition of the third and/or fourth just wont work. I have three desktops I want on the powerlines but am stuck with the third desktop on wifi. I went with the pwrlines because I was too lazy to string cat5 in my new home and wifi just wasn't reaching the farther reaches of my home. I know it's not my house wiring because i can get may laptop to join the network from any outlet in the house as long as only one PC is on the network. As soon as i attempt to add the third i'm out of luck. I keep reading that you're supposed to be able to add just about as many as you want (don't know if there is a limit) but for me I have two additional units I can't use. Considering all the time and effort I have spent trying to fix this problem I could have strung the cat5 twice over. Anyone out there having similar multi adapter problems?
Message 14 of 20
deragoku
Aspirant

I do not know if it is a network power line adapter or some other part of the various parts of fiddling around, I finally have the adapter reset to factory settings HP 97, re-paired, they began to work.
Message 15 of 20
gringoanthony
Aspirant

I've also had trouble with my AV 200 and XAV1004 (seemingly) sporadically not working. After wasting a bunch of time troubleshooting technical stuff, resetting the adapters, etc., I found that the problem is very simple--an iron.

I had an iron (drawing something like 1,500 watts) plugged in and it was interfering with the signal. Unplugged it--signal fine. Plugged it in--signal gone (and powerline indicator LED off).

Next time you have trouble with your adapters seemingly randomly failing, check to see if there's any high-power appliances, electronics, etc... plugged in anywhere in your house, same circuit or not. That may be the simplest solution.

P.S. I've always had my XAV1004 plugged into a power strip and it has always worked fine. The signal is not as strong as if it were plugged directly into an outlet, but it still works. If I have trouble with on demand movies/shows downloading too slowly or problems getting HD quality from Netflix streaming, I can plug the adapter directly into an outlet. But I haven't had to do that yet...

Good luck!
Message 16 of 20
rbdcpa
Aspirant

I too have been using XAV 2001 pair, which worked for 2 months then stopped.
Called "tech support" what a waste. they told me both units had to be on same circuit, close to each other. Ludicrous of course because an extra long cat cable would clearly work better in that situation. I will try plugging directly into an outlet, i had been using power strip. Maybe that will solve the problem.
Message 17 of 20
dalameda
Aspirant

I have found the Powerline AV200 to be utterly useless. It shows the dreaded red light when plugged into nearly every socket in the house. The only socket in which it give a green light are sockets near the router....and so I don't need the extender there anyway!

According to online videos, the better method is actually just to buy the same router and then configure the second one to be a repeater. So I'm just going to do that.
Message 18 of 20
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
All I know they work best when they are plugged into same cicuit(branch) which is controlled by same breaker.
Message 19 of 20
cyberboy
Aspirant

I had trouble setting this up and after hours of efforts got it sorted..but since then its working fine
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7