× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connection from PLP2000 slow

ACrazedBear
Follower

Connection from PLP2000 slow

Hello,

I am currently trying out a PLP2000 Powerline Adapter. Seems to work but I have noticed that it seems to limit my connection.

Current Setup:

Coax Cable > Netgear CM1200 Modem > AC1750 Router >  PLP2000.

When running some tests I can get around 100mbps through the PLP but can get around 200mbps from a direct connection to the router.

I have tried

- re-syncing the connections

- restarting the router and modem

- tested the receiver in a closer outlet as well as an outlet further out and see the same results.

I was thinking about trying a router or connecting to the modem directly just to see if it's the router but have not had time yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Connection from PLP2000 slow

powerline device speeds are impacted by a lot of factors. And I think its speeds are significantly over-rated. 

I'd try reading a few reviews and tests on those devices for reasonable expectations. 

Powerline - Ranking (smallnetbuilder.com)

Their speeds drop off quickly when devices aren't on the same circuit or have any interference. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Connection from PLP2000 slow

@ACrazedBear wrote:

When running some tests I can get around 100mbps through the PLP but can get around 200mbps from a direct connection to the router.

Is this slowing down things that you are trying t do? Or are you just measuring speeds?

Powerline will never be as fast as a direct wired connection. It exists to bridge gaps where you cannot wire things together. It is often better than using wifi, especially with things like smart TVs and media players, where they don't have Ethernet faster than 100 Mbps.

If you need the fastest seed possible, powerline probably isn't the answer.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7