× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dual ethernet powerline adapterowerline adapterP2000

DBartel
Follower

Dual ethernet powerline adapterowerline adapterP2000

I purchased and installed a pair of Net Gear PLP2000 powerline to bring my internet ethernet connection from my modem located in my living room to my desktop computer located in my bedroom.  I measured the download speed on my internet before the powerline adapter installation at about 225-230 Mbps.  I measured the throughput speed after the receiving PLP2000 at about 155 Mbps.  Is this speed reduction to be expected using these devices.  Is there anything I can do to increase the throughput speed? 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Dual ethernet powerline adapterowerline adapterP2000

Hi DBartel, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Every appliance on your electrical line generates noise, or interference, for Powerline transmission. While distance as some effect on line noise, the number of appliances and age of electrical wiring will have greater impact. The longer the distance and the greater the line noise, the less square footage you will be able to cover with the Powerline.

Environmental factors, Operational overhead, differences between different transport standards (UDP vs. TCP vs. WFT) and the way each standard optimizes the data overhead (typically for error handling).

Pick a plug is a technology that allows you to determine how fast your Powerline connection is - simply by looking at a multi-color LED on the front of the device. Green is the fastest possible connection. Yellow indicates a less than optimal connection. Red indicates that you might experience poor performance and should consider moving one of the devices to a different outlet.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi DBartel, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Every appliance on your electrical line generates noise, or interference, for Powerline transmission. While distance as some effect on line noise, the number of appliances and age of electrical wiring will have greater impact. The longer the distance and the greater the line noise, the less square footage you will be able to cover with the Powerline.

Environmental factors, Operational overhead, differences between different transport standards (UDP vs. TCP vs. WFT) and the way each standard optimizes the data overhead (typically for error handling).

Pick a plug is a technology that allows you to determine how fast your Powerline connection is - simply by looking at a multi-color LED on the front of the device. Green is the fastest possible connection. Yellow indicates a less than optimal connection. Red indicates that you might experience poor performance and should consider moving one of the devices to a different outlet.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 3

As well as heeding the explanation from @Blanca_O you could also check the mains sockets.

Netgear advises against using extension blocks. My experience is that these usually work fine, but it helps to avoid anything that tries to be clever, to remove interference or reduce power surges. That technology can get in the way of the Powerline signal.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7