× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Bridge 802.1D

mvlvigo
Aspirant

Ethernet Bridge 802.1D

Hi there,

I am quite surprise that a powerline extension between a XAV5622 and XAV5421 is not working at all. Mainly, this setup a simple connection between a main switch and other switch using trunking with few vlans tagged. I did the following tests:

• If I connect the two switches directly, the link is established without any issues
  • If I connect the main switch with the powerline devices to a PC, no issues at all
  • If I connect the two switches with the powerline devices using trunking, there is no connection despite the lights are green so both powerline devices see each other but no traffic at all.

I installed the Netgear Genie app and it is showing the powerline devices pairing and with a good speed (250Mbps). 

Is there anyone who knows if the these devices can transport the protocol IEEE802.1Q?

Thank you,

Regards,

Model: XAV5622|Powerline 500 2 Port Adapter
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Ethernet Bridge 802.1D

@mvlvigo wrote:
  • If I connect the two switches with the powerline devices using trunking, there is no connection despite the lights are green so both powerline devices see each other but no traffic at all.

I installed the Netgear Genie app and it is showing the powerline devices pairing and with a good speed (250Mbps). 

The PHY link - being Ethernet, Powerline, Fiber, whatever  - establishment and retaining is complete independent of the transport of frames. 10BASE-T used regular link pulses, 100BASE-T uses a constant signal, 1000BASE-T and up uses pule bursts, powerline has it's own schemes, defined by the standard resp. de-facto standard makers of Homeplug, Homeplug AV, .... Further on, there is no specific "trunking"-link indication,  the devices can send and receive alas they can exchange frames while the bi-directional link(s) are up on both sides.

Low level features like STP (part of the 802.1d standard), RSTP (evolved from .1d to 802.11w). So yes, as the Powerline does connect two network segments, it's a bridge as per 802.1d - and it _will_ pass this kind of low level traffic on the untagged network.

A trunk or trunking does logically not exist, and it's not kid of a protocol or the like. It's a nickname for link or an aggregation group combining multiple links, carrying  frames belonging to one or multiple logical networks (VLANs), where for differentiation the traffic of one network can be sent untagged, the PVID does define the VLAN where incoming untagged frames will be assigned to, and for each other network (VLAN) four bytes are added to the Ethernet header carrying the VLAN ID. That's part of 802.1q. 

It's up to the implementation of the bridge if it's strict on using untagged frames only, and ignoring 802.1q tagged headers, or forwarding these. 

Simple test: Reconfigure one of your tagged VLANs to be handled untagged, and define the PVID where the switch config on both ends requires. If this does pass that VLAN frames, but not the tagged VLAN frames, the bridges (here the two powerline devices) are dropping the frames..

The powerline bridge core does come from the powerline chip maker. The device maker can choose how the bridge will be implemented, e.g. allowing or denying 802.1q tagged frames, probably very early versions did not had support for the 802.1q Ethernet  frame extension.

If the data sheets does not explicitly mention supporting 802.1q, it's well possible that tagged frames will be silently dropped - simply because the product management had not defined the 802.1q frame support.

As Netgear does see their consumer powerline devices as buy and run - like a non-managed switch - and offered very few updates, they consider these products as plug and forget. No doubts, Netgear could chage the device config, and update the Homeplug or Homeplug AV bridge core, and change it's default config.

That's why some powerline maker devices are supporting 802.1q, while others (like I'd tend to say the Netgear ones) don't.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
mvlvigo
Aspirant

Hi,

Is there anyone from Netgear support who could be so kind to explain whether the Netgear powerline devices support or not the standards 802.1D and 802.1Q? It is not that difficult question except if you dont like to tell customers it is not supported...

Nevermind, I will try another way without using these great not that transparent devices...

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

Sorry for butting-in.. I have no anwers, but a Q: How do I use Genie to query the connection between powerline devices?

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 3 of 8
mvlvigo
Aspirant

Hi,

No problem at all, once you install it, connect the PC directly to the powerline device and open the Netgear Genie app.

On the main app menu, press "Network map" and you will see on the top right corner of the map a list of buttons in order to choose the network device where you like to perform the test. If you wait a moment, you will see that the netgear powerline device pair will appear and there you can test the speed between the powerline devices and also, change the encryption key.

Hope it helps you,

Regards,

Mario

Message 4 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

Where do I get Windows version of Genie?  Netgear has dropped this app without a direct replacement. They are pushing NightHawk for mobile devices.

I cabn find Genie at 3rd party sites like cNet and download.com, but I avoid using those sites.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 5 of 8
mvlvigo
Aspirant

You can download directly from Netgear

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XAVN2001/NETGEAR_Powerline_Setup_V3.1.0.4_230-10802-06.z...

Even if that is not the device model you got, download that file and check inside as Genie is supporting a list of Netgear devices and some of the support download links of some devices does not have that link to download the software while the others yes (it happens with my device). 

Currrently, inside the zip file, there is a instructions website where you can see the deive models supported:

v3.1.0.4 Utility Features:

Support product:
a.. 200Mbps Powerline :XAV1004, XAV2001, XAV2510, XAV2101, XAV2602, XAV1601, XAV1401, XAV1101, XAV1301
b. 200Mbps Powerline Y-cable: XAVP1000, XAVP2000.
c. 200Mbps Powerline with wireless: XAVN2001.
d. 200Mbps Powerline with USB port: XAU2511.
f. 500Mbps powerline: XAV5001, XAV5004, XAV5501. XAV5601, XAV5101, XAV5201, XAV5602.
g. 500Mbps Powerline with wireless: XWN5001, XAVN2001v2

Support operation:
a. Windows XP 32bit
b. Windows Vista 32bit, Vista 64bit.
c. Windows Win7 32bit, Vin7 64bit
3. Language support: English, Germany, Sweden, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Greek. Auto detection for language display.
4. NETGEAR standard string date base version: "Powerline_PC_GUI_v2_0_05", released on Nov.16.

Anyway, even if it is not in that list, please try to install it and check if it detects your powerline device as the XAV5622 is not there and it is working with that model too.

Moreover, it is incredible that a company as Netgear got this website with information out of date, but I can see that the support is the same as their website...useless...

I will check in aliexpress for some crappy powerline device that supports 802.1Q and 802.1D...as it seems for Netgear it is quite difficult to explain if their devices support that or not...

Regards,

Mario

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@mvlvigo wrote:

The PHY link - being Ethernet, Powerline, Fiber, whatever  - establishment and retaining is complete independent of the transport of frames. 10BASE-T used regular link pulses, 100BASE-T uses a constant signal, 1000BASE-T and up uses pule bursts, powerline has it's own schemes, defined by the standard resp. de-facto standard makers of Homeplug, Homeplug AV, .... Further on, there is no specific "trunking"-link indication,  the devices can send and receive alas they can exchange frames while the bi-directional link(s) are up on both sides.

Low level features like STP (part of the 802.1d standard), RSTP (evolved from .1d to 802.11w). So yes, as the Powerline does connect two network segments, it's a bridge as per 802.1d - and it _will_ pass this kind of low level traffic on the untagged network.

A trunk or trunking does logically not exist, and it's not kid of a protocol or the like. It's a nickname for link or an aggregation group combining multiple links, carrying  frames belonging to one or multiple logical networks (VLANs), where for differentiation the traffic of one network can be sent untagged, the PVID does define the VLAN where incoming untagged frames will be assigned to, and for each other network (VLAN) four bytes are added to the Ethernet header carrying the VLAN ID. That's part of 802.1q. 

It's up to the implementation of the bridge if it's strict on using untagged frames only, and ignoring 802.1q tagged headers, or forwarding these. 

Simple test: Reconfigure one of your tagged VLANs to be handled untagged, and define the PVID where the switch config on both ends requires. If this does pass that VLAN frames, but not the tagged VLAN frames, the bridges (here the two powerline devices) are dropping the frames..

The powerline bridge core does come from the powerline chip maker. The device maker can choose how the bridge will be implemented, e.g. allowing or denying 802.1q tagged frames, probably very early versions did not had support for the 802.1q Ethernet  frame extension.

If the data sheets does not explicitly mention supporting 802.1q, it's well possible that tagged frames will be silently dropped - simply because the product management had not defined the 802.1q frame support.

As Netgear does see their consumer powerline devices as buy and run - like a non-managed switch - and offered very few updates, they consider these products as plug and forget. No doubts, Netgear could chage the device config, and update the Homeplug or Homeplug AV bridge core, and change it's default config.

That's why some powerline maker devices are supporting 802.1q, while others (like I'd tend to say the Netgear ones) don't.

Message 7 of 8
mvlvigo
Aspirant

Thank you very much schumaku, it was a great answer and really helpful. 

Regards,

Mario

@schumaku wrote:

@mvlvigo wrote:

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7