× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Expanding my network Powerline AV500 + XWN5001

RJH147
Follower

Expanding my network Powerline AV500 + XWN5001

Hi,

I think I've made a rookie mistake. I'm wanting to expand my network, currently set up with an XAV5001 plugged into a Virgin router and XWN5001 extending the network upstairs. 

I've purchased additional XAV5001's but should I have actually purchased more XWN5001's? 

I've searched for XWN5001's but I can't actually find any to purchase.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Model: XWN5001|Powerline 500 WiFi Range Extender, XAV5001|500Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter|EOL
Message 1 of 2

Re: Expanding my network Powerline AV500 + XWN5001

@RJH147 wrote:

I've searched for XWN5001's but I can't actually find any to purchase.

Neither Netgear, nor most makers of Powerline plugs, sell singletons. only bundles.

What are you looking for? Plugs with a built in wifi access point?

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. Some brands do sell single plugs.

The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs, or vice versa, they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

When adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

Finally, you can also use the Ethernet bit of the Powerline network to feed any extender, router or other device that work as a wireless access point. If anything, this can be a better option because you can get an AP that is more capable than a simple plug.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7