× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender not working correctly

liv2hunt
Tutor

Extender not working correctly

I have recently purchased the Range extender (adapter) listed above. It is connected via ethernet to my router which functions well and is located in my living room and produces (dual band) readings of 39MBPS on 2.4 GHZ and 189MBPS on 5GHZ. The Access point is locatetd remotely in my garage as this was the reason I installed it. I needed the signal to be present in the garage which has steel walls.

When I connect to my range extender sitting in my kitchen, (15 feet) from both the router and the adapter, I get the following,

17.5MBPS on 2.4GHZ and 5.33MBPS on 5GHZ. If I go to my garage (where the access point is located) with my laptop, the speeds increase to about double to as high as 50MBPS

My question is: Does the adapter for the pwl1010 serve to broadcast the signal or is that only handled by the access point part of the extender.

All speeds are per Ookla Speedtest and are download only speeds.

I am wonderi

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
liv2hunt
Tutor

Re: Extender not working correctly

Problem solved. I only had to change the connection on the camera from the original wifi (router) to the ext network created by the Netgear extender.

Guess that should have been the first thing I did but sometimes, we have a brain fart!

Anyway, thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies

@liv2hunt wrote:

I have recently purchased the Range extender (adapter) listed above.

Is that the PLW1010 listed in your "footer"?

I don't get this bit:

Does the adapter for the pwl1010 serve to broadcast the signal or is that only handled by the access point part of the extender.

The "remote" plug, the PLW1010 is the only bit of the Powerline system that broadcasts wifi. The PL1010 connected to the router just acts as the internet source for the PLW1010. It has nothing to do with wifi. By the way, you can also use the Ethernet link on the PLW1010 to connect things to the local network and the internet

I assume that the router is also a wifi source.

If the PL1010 is connected to a router, then it is normally the router that delivers local wifi. The PLW1010 is there to provide wifi somewhere else, in your case the garage.

If devices are connecting to the PLW1010 in the garage when you are near to the router, then it is probably connecting to the wrong wifi source.

It is up to the wifi clients to connect to the best source.

Message 2 of 8
liv2hunt
Tutor

Yes, it is the PLW1010 listed iin the footer.

You have completely answered my original question. The scenarios you gave are spot on.

I will further the discussion by explaining what I am trying to accomplish.

I have an alarm based in my house with sensors etc in the garage. I am not getting a good enough signal from my WiFi in the home due to the steel walls of the garage. I installed the PLW1010 to extend the signal inside the garage through the electric cables which run from the house to the garage, thus eliminating the walls problem. 

The new problem is that all of the alarm sensors, cameras etc need to be on the same WiFi network, or at least I think that is correct. If I connect to the WiFi in home, its not the same as the ext network in the garage (at least it has a different name) and vice versa.

According to my alarm provider, my signal to the devices in the garage are weak and should be improved. 

Could I add another acces point inside the home from the PLW1010 (like adding the "pods" from other manufacturers) and how would that affect the speed of my WiFi inside the home compared to being connected directly to the router?

Thanks for past and future help! 

Message 3 of 8

@liv2hunt wrote:

The new problem is that all of the alarm sensors, cameras etc need to be on the same WiFi network, or at least I think that is correct.

I would investigate that. Not knowing what these cameras are, it is hard to know what you need.

If they are cloud based devices, then it should be the internet connection that matters, not the local wifi network.

Message 4 of 8
liv2hunt
Tutor

All cameras/sensors are Ring products which connect via WiFi signal.

Message 5 of 8

This might help:

https://shop.ring.com/pages/faq

WHAT ARE WI-FI RANGE EXTENDERS? WILL THEY IMPROVE THE WIRELESS INTERNET CONNECTION TO MY RING™ VIDEO DOORBELL?

A wireless repeater is a stand-alone unit that extends the range of your Wi-Fi signal by repeating the signal over a greater distance. They are simple devices that are easy to connect to your Wi-Fi network. Once connected, position your repeater somewhere near your Ring™ to ensure the best possible signal. We recommend you configure the repeater with a unique network name (SSID) and then connect your Ring™ Video Doorbell to this unique network name.
Message 6 of 8
liv2hunt
Tutor

Problem solved. I only had to change the connection on the camera from the original wifi (router) to the ext network created by the Netgear extender.

Guess that should have been the first thing I did but sometimes, we have a brain fart!

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 8

Well done.

That's the advice they give in the thing I linked to.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7