× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending Wi Fi from house to outbuilding

PowserOH
Follower

Extending Wi Fi from house to outbuilding

I am looking for solutions to extend the wifi from my home to a barn that is approximately 250 feet away. From what I can tell I have a few basic options:  1) Powerline adapter 2) Bury cable and hard wire 3) Install wireless Bridge 4) Wi Fi extender 5) Mesh Network. 

1) I tried the Powerline adapter but the 'pick a plug' light shows green for a few seconds and then no color. I think this means there is no signal detected. 2) I would prefer not to buy/bury cable (expense, difficulty) 5) Tried Orbi mesh network last year but I think the distance was too far. I did not have the Orbi outdoor extender though which may have helped? 4) I think the distance is too long for a wi fi extender but I haven't tried this. 3) A wireless bridge might be my next possible solution?

I am looking to add wi fi security camera and general internet access for streaming music, etc.  No gaming, major usage - only a few users.  This is in a rural area so no interference from other networks.

Anyone have suggestions?  Thanks.

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 2

Re: Extending Wi Fi from house to outbuilding

@PowserOH wrote:

I am looking for solutions to extend the wifi from my home to a barn that is approximately 250 feet away.

That is a long haul for any technology. I would not expect powerline to get that far, and wifi would be pushing it too.

Ethernet should be OK at 100 meters and is going to be the best best, albeit the most complicated.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7