× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending WiFi to an outbuilding

debax
Aspirant

Extending WiFi to an outbuilding

Bear with me, this is a very basic question regarding the use of powerline network devices.  I have an outbuilding (workshop) and I want to extend my existing WiFi to that location.  I bought a Netgear WiFi Range Extender last year (AC1200 Dual Band), but it just doesn't do the job - very poor WiFi performance.  My workshop is about 100 feet away and both the house and workshop have dense, stucco walls. If I buy a Powerline device such as the PLP1200 can I connect my AC1200 Range Extender to the remote Powerline unit via ethernet to provide WiFi in my workshop?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Extending WiFi to an outbuilding

@debax wrote:

What about another Netgear model option...?  Instead of using my existing EX6150 Range Extender, would it make more sense to get the PLPW1000 Kit, which includes Wi-Fi built into the remote unit. 

That would work. It is your call. I have one of those (slower) combo plugs.

@debax wrote:

I'm assuming my EX6150 doesn't have the Powerline capabilities of the remote unit in the PLPW1000, and couldn't just be plugged into an outlet in my workshop by itself to provide Wi-Fi there.

You assume right. The EX6150 needs a LAN link.

Finally (I think), how do you feel Netgear hardware stacks up against other brands (e.g., Extollo).

I'm not familiar with other brands. But if you already have some Netgear stuff, it can be easier to use the same utilities, and apps to manage them together.

I do know that Netgear is crap at writing standalone software for its Powerline kit. We sometimes end up recommending ZyXel software to manage Netgear plugs.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

@debax wrote:

I bought a Netgear WiFi Range Extender last year (AC1200 Dual Band), but it just doesn't do the job - very poor WiFi performance.

Which AC1200 was this? That tells us about the wifi speed, not the model number.

And what was the layout? Where is the extender? In the workshop?

My workshop is about 100 feet away and both the house and workshop have dense, stucco walls. If I buy a Powerline device such as the PLP1200 can I connect my AC1200 Range Extender to the remote Powerline unit via ethernet to provide WiFi in my workshop?

That is a bit of a stretch for wifi. You can put an access point/extender on the end of the powerline network. But the performance will depend on the mains circuit. If the workshop has its own mains circuit, with a separate switch and fuse box, than will get in the way of the network signal.

I have tested just this arrangement. (I don't use this for day-to-day work as I have two separate phone and internet links.) The internet speed certainly takes a hit, but it works. Might be better than a huge wifi span.

Message 2 of 8
debax
Aspirant

My Netgear AC1200 (dual band Range Extender) is listed as "up to 1200 Mps".

I would place one of the PLP1200 units in my house, connected to my Comcast cable modem via an ethernet cable.  The other PLP1200 unit would be in my workshop.  

The videos I've watched describing Powerline adapters show connecting something (computer, game console, etc.) to the remote Powerline adapter via an ethernet cable.  So, depending on the model of Powerline adapter, only one or possibly two devices could use the internet in my workshop.  What I'm wondering is, instead of doing that, can I connect my existing AC1200 Range Extender to the remote PLP1200, either in "extender" mode or "access point" mode, to create a wi-fi hotspot in my workshop that a number of devices could use?

The house and workshop are on the same piece of property (less than 1/3 acre) and are on the same electrical service.

Although I'm an engineer, I'm clearly a novice w/r to internet/networking.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

Message 3 of 8

@debax wrote:

My Netgear AC1200 (dual band Range Extender) is listed as "up to 1200 Mps".

The model number is on a label on the thing:

model number

I would place one of the PLP1200 units in my house, connected to my Comcast cable modem via an ethernet cable.  The other PLP1200 unit would be in my workshop.  

That will work if the mains circuit isn't too noisy.

What I'm wondering is, instead of doing that, can I connect my existing AC1200 Range Extender to the remote PLP1200, either in "extender" mode or "access point" mode, to create a wi-fi hotspot in my workshop that a number of devices could use?

The should work with the extender, depending in what model it is, in AP mode. The LAN ports on the extender should also work.

How fast is your internet? From my experience, you can expect to lose quite a bit with a noisy mains circuit. But it should be better than trying to span the gap with wifi.

Message 4 of 8
debax
Aspirant

The box that the Netgear Dual Band Range Extender came in shows model "EX6150-100NAS"

I just did an Xfinity speed test on my computer (wired directly to my cable modem, so not wi-fi). I got 266.6 Mbps download speed and 13.5 Mbps upload.

If I could get something close to 50 Mbps download (Wi-Fi) in my workshop, I'd be very happy.

Message 5 of 8

Ah, one of them:

EX6150 | AC1200 WiFi Range Extender | NETGEAR Support

Not likely to be one of the most powerful boxes available. But a good choice for a powerline network. Consider getting "pass through"  plugs like the PLP1200 to avoid losing a socket.

I just did an Xfinity speed test on my computer (wired directly to my cable modem, so not wi-fi). I got 266.6 Mbps download speed and 13.5 Mbps upload.

If I could get something close to 50 Mbps download (Wi-Fi) in my workshop, I'd be very happy.

No guarantees, but I'd expect you to get something like that, perhaps even better with a straightforward mains wiring set up.

Message 6 of 8
debax
Aspirant

What about another Netgear model option...?  Instead of using my existing EX6150 Range Extender, would it make more sense to get the PLPW1000 Kit, which includes Wi-Fi built into the remote unit.  This package's specs are a little slower than my EX6150, but it would be a bit tidier installation at the remote end (one device rather than two).  

I'm assuming my EX6150 doesn't have the Powerline capabilities of the remote unit in the PLPW1000, and couldn't just be plugged into an outlet in my workshop by itself to provide Wi-Fi there.

Finally (I think), how do you feel Netgear hardware stacks up against other brands (e.g., Extollo).

Message 7 of 8

@debax wrote:

What about another Netgear model option...?  Instead of using my existing EX6150 Range Extender, would it make more sense to get the PLPW1000 Kit, which includes Wi-Fi built into the remote unit. 

That would work. It is your call. I have one of those (slower) combo plugs.

@debax wrote:

You assume right. The EX6150 needs a LAN link.

I'm not familiar with other brands. But if you already have some Netgear stuff, it can be easier to use the same utilities, and apps to manage them together.

I do know that Netgear is crap at writing standalone software for its Powerline kit. We sometimes end up recommending ZyXel software to manage Netgear plugs.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7