× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending existing wifi network rather than creating new one?

Gaja
Follower

Extending existing wifi network rather than creating new one?

Hi,

My broadband provider (Virgin Media) sold me a PLW1000 as my wifi is poor at the back of my house, the furthest point from the router. I need my existing wifi network to be extended not for a new network to be created.

Having installed the PLW1000 and read the manual it seems this only creates a new wifi network. I've know I can change the name to be the same as my current network but from previous experince some set ups (Sonos and wifi printing for example) don't like this.

Can I configure the PWL1000 to extend my current network or do I need a different product?

Thanks

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4
netwrks
Master

Re: Extending existing wifi network rather than creating new one?

It won't be the exact SSID - it will be <yourssid>_EXT. You should be setting up your Sonos to connect to you router, not the extender, which would most likely require moving your Sonos. The beat way to go really, is buy a router that can be configured in Access Point. Ethernet connect back to your Base Router. If you can't, or won't run an Ethernet cable between the two devices, consider Powerline products to connect back to your Base Router... 

Message 2 of 4

@Gaja wrote:

Can I configure the PWL1000 to extend my current network or do I need a different product?

If the Sonos or the printer does LAN, then put the remote plug next to that and use a wired connection.

The PWL1000 does not create new network, as the name suggests it extends the old one. netwrks's message explains how to get into it.

You can probably connect printer and Sonos to the wifi, but using the LAN on one would be more reliable.

Message 3 of 4

@netwrks wrote:

If you can't, or won't run an Ethernet cable between the two devices, consider Powerline products to connect back to your Base Router... 

That would be my solution, especially as the Gaja already has that.

The PLW1000 is a powerline/wifi combination.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7