× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FA311 Network adapter not seen by Windows 10

jimmy27
Aspirant

FA311 Network adapter not seen by Windows 10

I have an FA311 v2 network adapter which I've installed on a Windows computer running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Windows does not see the card as being present in device manager. I'm not finding any software for Windows 10 and this card. Any suggestions? I followed the installation guide for the card but Windows does not see it as being present. J
Message 1 of 5
jimmy27
Aspirant

Re: FA311 Network adapter not seen by Windows 10

I had an Intel Pro 1000 GT network card on an old computer I had forgotten about. I exchanged the Netgear FA311 for the Intel card and everything is working fine. Windows saw the Intel card immediately and because the network adapter on the motherboard I had been using was also Intel, apparently the drivers were the same.

Anyway, for future reference, is the FA311 compatible with Windows 10 64-bit?

J

Message 2 of 5

You are trying to install a 10-year old device, older in reality, into an operating system that came a lot later. If the drivers in Windows can't hack it, then you are probably out of luck.

Even if you can get it to work, remember that this card is limited to working at 100 Mbps for the LAN speed. Not only is this a lot slower than modern Ethernet, it is even slower than many Internet services.

If you need a LAN card, then you can get a 1000 Mbps card for < $£€10.

By the way, you have posted your question in the Powerline Networking section of this forum. That's very different technology. You might get better help here:

Wired Network Adapters - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 5
jimmy27
Aspirant

Michael, thank you for your reply. I realize this may not be the appropriate forum to start this thread but I did not find the forum you linked dedicated to wired networking so I picked one out of the hat. Looks like you did give me good help anyway. You correctly informed me I am using obsolete technology and that pretty much says it all. I installed a Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter and all is working fine. Looks like the best choice for my FA311 is to turn it in at my nearest computer recycling center. I get it. Thanks again for taking the time to read and post.

J.

Message 4 of 5

I installed a Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter and all is working fine. Looks like the best choice for my FA311 is to turn it in at my nearest computer recycling center.

That would have been my choice, given the cost of a new LAN card. The last one I bought even doubled as a USB3 hub.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7