× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Factory Reset after power outage

Motorola
Aspirant

Factory Reset after power outage

I have been having problems with my AC1600 Modem/Router that I purchased December 31, 2020 and hooked up in January of 2021 (just three months ago).  Of course (Murphy’s Law), one week after my tech support expires, my neighborhood suffers with power outages.  Through this, I found that my Netgear AC1600 must be factory reset in order to work after an outage.  What?!?!  Should this happen to anyone when we have work to do?  I buy outstanding products in order to get work done.  Instead, were fooling with a device, we thought was a top-of-the-line device, for hours.  When I looked on-line, I see people having issues with Netgear and power outages.  I buy top-of-the-line technical devices.  This Netgear is not worth it.

Netgear will not refund my money.  I will let this be known to everyone I know and to discourage their purchase of Netgear modems/routers.

I’ve already got my eye on a Motorola that costs $77.98; about the cost of only three months of Netgear support.  I have lost $167 because of Netgear.  Is this okay with you CEO’s?

You must get your technicians to build an internal memory in your devices so when the power goes out it will contain and run the settings initially placed at set-up.  This should be a no-brainer for your company, especially for a device as expensive as this one.

I’m letting you know, so do something about this.

Model: C6250|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Factory Reset after power outage

A couple things. 

1. this is the netgear community forum. Where members of the public help others out. We're not netgear. Just people helping out. 

2. I've had several modem/router combo devices (the one you have included) and have never needed a factory reset after power failures. 

3. It could be an issue with the firmware when the ISP provisioned it. What you could try doing. disconnec the coax from the modem. leave the router powered on and push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds. Then connect the modem/router back to the coax. Contact your isp and see if they can re-provision it. the provisioning has the firmware and if something was corrupt in the first provisioned, can potentially fix it. 

Message 2 of 5
Motorola
Aspirant

We have had as many as 6 power failures a day. This modem will not work unless I reset it spend a lot of my valuable time on this. It wipes out all my settings. They are sending me a new one at my cost for shipping, but I’m feeling like I need something better.
Model: C6250|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

The C6250 has a base model docsis 3.0 modem in it. if you're going to want faster speeds in the future, I'd look at docsis 3.1 devices or something with more cable channels. 

Message 4 of 5

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Home WiFi Adapters and Powerline. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but modem routers are nothing like Powerline devices so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7