× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Has PLP2000 been discontinued?

alokeprasad
Mentor

Has PLP2000 been discontinued?

I can't find these ANYEHERE, not even at the Netgear store.  I need some to add to my existing PLP2000's I'm using.

Have these been discontinued?

Aloke

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

They're out of stock for a while with more expected in February. I'd imaging its more an issue of covid reducing supplies.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

They're out of stock for a while with more expected in February. I'd imaging its more an issue of covid reducing supplies.
Message 3 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

I hope they are available at all, and hopefully sooner.

I like these things.  They are not as fast as WiFi in some areas, but the performance is rock solid reliable, which helps when streaming content.  Ideal for fixed TV's and receivers. It also helps offload traffic from WiFi for devices that are truly mobile (phones, tablets, laptops...).

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

You can also check into moca adapters (ethernet over coax). 

Another option is powerline adapters are compatible between manufacturers based on the spec they use. So if you find one/two/more from a different manufacturer that uses the same homeplug spec, you can use it. They'll run at the slowest devices speed though. 

Message 5 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

@plemans wrote:

You can also check into moca adapters (ethernet over coax). 

Another option is powerline adapters are compatible between manufacturers based on the spec they use. So if you find one/two/more from a different manufacturer that uses the same homeplug spec, you can use it. They'll run at the slowest devices speed though. 

Dish network is using the coax wiring for satellite TV.

Which other powerline systems are compatible w PLP2000?  The major ones are TP-Link Zyxel.  Do they use homeplug specifications?

On the whole, I'd rather stick to Netgear.  Mix-n-matching will result in each blaming the other for incompatibility or poor performance ...

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

PLP2000 uses the homeplug AV2 compatability. 

Any device using that should be compatible. Some have had speed differences.

most of the issues I've found have been from reviews almost 5 years old. I haven't researched a whole ton since then. 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2990024/homeplug-av2-mimo-stretches-the-definition-of-standard-to-th...

Message 7 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

This has truly dissappeared from everywhere.  One seller on Amazon marketplace is selling it for $275!!  No one else is even accepting orders for this.

Question: PLP2000 is advertised as "Powerline Extender, 2000Mbps, Wall-plug , Extra Outlet, 2 Extenders".  Does it provide 2000 Mbps in each of its 2 ethernet outlets?

If it is providing 1000 Mbps/outlet, then can I add PLP1200 pr PL1010 to my exixting setup (consisting of PLP2000's) without slowing down my powerline network?

I believe that the speed of the powerline network is limited by the slowest adapter.. so I don't want that to happen by adding less capable units to my PLP2000's.

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

Powerline ratings are basically that, just ratings. they aren't going to hit 2000mbps. the input isn't even ranked to that. Its just the chip makers way of saying who has a bigger stick. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-features/32727-the-truth-behind-homeplug-speed

You're not actually going to hit that speed. will it slow your peak speeds? sure, if you're actively using more than 1. but most people aren't maxing out their connections anyway unless they're doing backups or massive data transfers. even 4k video is usually only 30-40mbps. 

Message 9 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

Agree that those are practical limitations of the technology in general.

Specifically, will mixing PLP2000 with PLP1000 (instead of waiting for PLP2000’s to become available) adversely affect performance?

Is the PLP2000 just two PLP1000 slapped together in one package?

Aloke
Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:
Agree that those are practical limitations of the technology in general.

Specifically, will mixing PLP2000 with PLP1000 (instead of waiting for PLP2000’s to become available) adversely affect performance?---yes. the whole network will function at the pl1000's speed. 

Is the PLP2000 just two PLP1000 slapped together in one package?---no its not. 

Aloke

the good news is the powerline devices are designed to be interchangeble with other brands. meaning if you bought a different 2000mbps device (that uses the same standard) it'll work at the speeds of the netgear device. Both tp-link and dlink offer 2000mbps powerline devices that use the same standard. If you couldn't find the netgear, those options would be worth checking out. 

Message 11 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thx.
I’ll make sure to stick to 2000 mbps devices.

I hope PLP2000 comes back. This compatibility in encryption and performance is all well and good, but you know that is the first thing that’ll come up in case of problems.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7