Reply

Help Configure WiFI Entender PLW1010v2 when WPS doesn't seem to work

MJWhacker
Aspirant

Help Configure WiFI Entender PLW1010v2 when WPS doesn't seem to work

I just purchased a PLW1010v2 and the Wifi is working but wanted to configure the network as an extension of my existing network without having to manually switch from "MyHome Network" to "MyHome Network_Ext".  I tried using the WPS button on the access point and syncing it with the WPS on my wireless router (ARRIS TG862G/CT), but that doesn't seem to be working.  They both are within 20 feet of each other and blink for over 3 minutes each and not sure if it actually worked.  

 

So couple of questions:

1) Is there a manual way to extend my ARRIS router SSID name using the powerline access point without using the WPS?  Continue to use "MyHome Network" and let my devices pick up the stongest signal around my house?

2) How do I know if the WPS actually worked ?

 

Thanks

Mark

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 3

Re: Help Configure WiFI Entender PLW1010v2 when WPS doesn't seem to work


@MJWhacker wrote:

I just purchased a PLW1010v2 and the Wifi is working but wanted to configure the network as an extension of my existing network without having to manually switch from "MyHome Network" to "MyHome Network_Ext". 

 

Your wifi clients should be able to detect, and connect to, the best wifi source. No need for any manual switching.

 


@MJWhacker wrote:
1) Is there a manual way to extend my ARRIS router SSID name using the powerline access point without using the WPS?  Continue to use "MyHome Network" and let my devices pick up the stongest signal around my house?

 

If you mean that you want to change the SSID on the Powerline device, you have various options. The easiest is probably to aim a browser at www.mywifiext.net – if that does not work use the IP address of the Powerline wifi – and change the SSID in there.

 

You can find the IP address by using the desktop genie or from the list of "Attached devices" in the browser interface for your router.

 


MJWhacker wrote:

2) How do I know if the WPS actually worked ?

 


By checking in the browser interface (see above).

 

By the way, this is all explained in the manual for these things.

 

There is a manual for the device somewhere at the end of this link:

 

>>>> PLW1010v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

 

See page 18.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
MJWhacker
Aspirant

Re: Help Configure WiFI Entender PLW1010v2 when WPS doesn't seem to work

I found out the reason the WPS wasn't working.  The Netgear extender had a WPS PIN number set by default and both devices couldn't authentitate to my cable modem.  I had to go into the Access Point (www.mywifiext.net) and disable that.  I then went ahead and also changed the SSID and password for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz to the same SSID as my router and it is not automatically switching devices automatically. 

 

Thanks

Mark 

 

 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1845 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E