× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I connect Powerline wifi 100 to an existing AT&T network

leddytc
Aspirant

How do I connect Powerline wifi 100 to an existing AT&T network

I currently have internet/wifi through AT&T. I have a wifi extender from them, but it is not reaching my detached garage. I want to add wifi out there. I purchased netgear powerline wifi 1000 to do the trick, but I'm not sure how to get netgear on my at&t network. Please help.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: How do I connect Powerline wifi 100 to an existing AT&T network

how far is the detached garage from the home? 

Does it have its own subpanel for power?

Reason I ask is powerline is great when on the same circuit but crossing circuits or even then going from a breakbox to a subpanel can add enough interference to make it a challenge to pointless. 

do the adapters work if setup in the home? Its just when you move the one to the garage that they don't work?

Message 2 of 5

@leddytc wrote:

I purchased netgear powerline wifi 1000 to do the trick, but I'm not sure how to get netgear on my at&t network.

It isn't clear to me what the problem is, if you have one.

First, what powerline device did you buy? The PLW1000?

Have you set up the Powerline plugs according to the instructions?

Can you see wifi from the plug? Can you use wired devices on your Powerline network?

You don't really "get Netgear on an at&t network". You get the plugs to work on your existing network and then to spread the wifi around the place.

Message 3 of 5
leddytc
Aspirant

The garage is about 50 feet from the house & it's on the same panel as the house.

I thought that when I setup the powerline system, plugging the ethernet cable into my gateway & pairing the adapter, then moving the adapter outside, that I would be on one network. Now, I have two networks with two logins. My wireless devices have the option for both AT&T & Netgear. Do I have to dedicate which devices are on what network? My cell phone is working horribly now, both in the house & outside.

Message 4 of 5

@leddytc wrote:

I thought that when I setup the powerline system, plugging the ethernet cable into my gateway & pairing the adapter, then moving the adapter outside, that I would be on one network.

What does "one network" mean to you?

Essentially the plugs put you on one wired Ethernet network, connected to, and managed by, the router.

As to wifi networks, that depends on how you set up the Powerline AP. The plug is on the same network as your router, but the wifi network depends on how you have set up the plug's SSID.

You could give the plug the same SSID as the router, but that can cause problems as you move between AP and router. Your wifi client needs to switch from one wifi source to the other, from plug to router and vice versa. If they are on the same SSID the wifi client can get confused about which one it should talk to.

We still don't know what Powerline device you own, simply that it is "powerline wifi 1000", which could be various things.

@leddytc wrote:

Now, I have two networks with two logins. My wireless devices have the option for both AT&T & Netgear.

Is AT&T your router and Netgear the powerline?

If so, it is up to your wifi clients  to connect to the "best" source it can see. You would expect the client to switch from one source to the other as you move between them. That has nothing to do with the wifi source. Even if they have the same SSID, the wifi devices will have to change from one to the other. Same as when you leave the place and go to somewhere else.

@leddytc wrote:

My cell phone is working horribly now, both in the house & outside.

If this is when it is on the wifi, and not the mobile network, you'll have to fix it on the phone. It is up to the phone to connect to the best wifi source as you move around.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7