× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to add 2nd PWL1000?

JGowdy3
Follower

How to add 2nd PWL1000?

I have recently purchased a PWL1000 to extend my signal upstairs.  It is plugged into an ethernet line (upstairs) coming off a hub in my downstairs closet.  That has fixed my problem with weak signal upstairs but my downstairs signal is still very weak because the hub in my downstairs closet encloses the router inside of a metal box from which I have 5 ethernet lines going out to the house.  I was thinking about buying a 2nd PWL1000 and putting in centrally located downstairs but they are sold in pairs with one having signal coming in from the router via an ethernet line while the other broad the wireless signal.  I have two questions for some smarter person to answer for me before I purchase another.

1. Would I need to use both components of the 2nd PWL1000 since the 1st one is already connected to an ethernet line and both would be on my same house wiring?

2. Would doing this creat still another home network?  Some of my junk in the house (iPhones, Apple TVs, etc) connect on 5Ghz while other components (HP printer, BD players, etc) only detect 2.4Ghz while still other items (desktop computer) are LAN only.  This has all resulted in multiple networks showing up in my house and certain communication/home sharing issues.

Message 1 of 2
JamesGL
Master

Re: How to add 2nd PWL1000?

Hi JGowdy3,

1. Powerline adapters are sold as pair. You can still use the additional powerline for LAN connection since there is already one powerline that is connected to the router.

2. It will not create a new home network. You may have another wireless network but the IP configuration will still be handled by the router. So you still have one network with multiple wireless networks.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7