× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to circuits work> powerline 2000

jay2121
Tutor

How to circuits work> powerline 2000

I have a house and about 200 ft is a second house.  Do I need to go to the  first house where the router is and find a circuit and plug into that?  Then turn the breaker off and see what house two is on or off?

The powerline 2000 works in the house #1.  House #2 I cant get it to connect. Its the same eleticity panel and bill.  I can flip the breaker off in house #1 garage and house #2 goes off.  Not sure how to make this work but it works all over house #1.

House 1 to 2.  not working. 

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: How to circuits work> powerline 2000

200ft and being on seperate circuits is probably what your issue is. 

Powerline suffers from interference as well as distance. 

If you could potentially get both powerline devices on one circuit it *might* make it that far. 

You'd be better off either running an underground ethernet wire or using a point to point system to get a connection between the 2 homes. 

Message 2 of 5
jay2121
Tutor

Whats point to point?  My eletriction is going to swap the poles so put it on the other circuit. 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

a point to point system is just like it sounds. 

Its a system designed to extender further than an omnidirectional wifi can reach. 

so it can connect from 100ft to 9000ft (for some systems). 

Its great when you're out of ethernet/coax/powerline range. 

Again, your electrician can try swapping stuff around but 200ft is quite a ways for powerline. 

Even if you do get them connecting, it might not provide much for throughput (speed)

Message 4 of 5

@plemans wrote:

200ft and being on seperate circuits is probably what your issue is. 

The chances of two houses being on the same circuit is all but zero. It is probably against the law and building regulations, not to mention an electrician's code of good practice.

Powerline is not intended to supply Internet services to the neighbourhood.

I can just about get a connection between  my house and my office, a distance of about 10 metres. The plugs are on the same mains circuit, but the connection has to go through separate fuse boxes.

I did this as an experiment. The quality is nowhere near good enough for real use.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7