× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I need to extend range in home, what is compatible with XWN5001?

JennLynnC
Aspirant

I need to extend range in home, what is compatible with XWN5001?

New here! I have a XWN5001 with a XAV5201 base. I need to extend the wifi range in my home. I have no clue what will work with this set up. Not sure if it matters but I have the Comcast Xfinity Modem/Router/wifi gateway thing that is all in one.

Can someone give me some model number options that will work with this? And is there documentation somewhere on how to add another wifi access point to this setup?

Model: XWN5001|Powerline 500 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Re: I need to extend range in home, what is compatible with XWN5001?

Are you asking about another powerline wifi access point?

Netgear does not sell separate AP plug, only bundles.

One or two powerline brands offer separate AP plugs. TP-Link, for example, sells Range Extenders.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

When you do add plugs to an existing network, you should follow these instructions:

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

Message 2 of 6
JennLynnC
Aspirant

Hey! Thanks you so much for helping me!
Apologies for not using the correct terminology.
I think you are correct that what I am wanting is a powerline wifi access point.
However since you also said since right now I have a "500" plug getting a "1000" plug is still going to perform at the speed of the "500" I am thinking just to start over and get a more powerful unit.
If I start over and buy a whole new unit, what
are some makes/models do you recommend?
If you need more info to help with a recommendation:
I don't play video games, but I do have 43 connected devices consisting of 4K TVs, security cameras, smart plugs, Roku's, FireTV sticks, computer, printer, smart TVs etc.

Also, I am thinking about getting rid of my Comcast Xfinity gateway. It is the kind that has the modem/router/wifi all in the same unit.
I have been paying a rental fee for years and I am thinking about getting my own equipment. But I have no clue all the different items I need. Can you help with that question too? If not I understand. I went out of topic with that particular question so I understand if you don't want to answer.
Message 3 of 6

@JennLynnC wrote:
If I start over and buy a whole new unit, what
are some makes/models do you recommend?

Without knowing a whole lot more, it is hard to make concrete recommendations. I have limited experience of a bunch of kit. But my ISP is not the same as yours, and I have DSL Internet.

Experienced users generally prefer separate modems and routers, rather than modem/router combinations. That is a bit more expensive, but you aren't locked into a particular Internet technology. If you switch from cable to fibre, for example, you just have to replace, or ditch, the modem.

Then there is your local environment, the size of your premises, for example.

@JennLynnC wrote:
I have been paying a rental fee for years and I am thinking about getting my own equipment.

A lot of people get suckered into those deals and end up with ancient and obsolete hardware. But ISPs like to make life difficult by refusing to support third party hardware. They may, though, have a list somewhere of compatible hardware, or a user forum where people can compare notes.

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up here with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example. These sites may also carry information on compatibility with particular ISPs.

Message 4 of 6
JennLynnC
Aspirant

If they only come in a bundle and I only need to use one source, does that mean that when I buy a bundle only one of the adapters is what I can actually use?
Message 5 of 6

@JennLynnC wrote:
...does that mean that when I buy a bundle only one of the adapters is what I can actually use?

You can use the spare "LAN-only" plug as an extension for your wired network. So you could use it, for example, to connect a smart TV. Another option is to use this spare "guest" plug as the LAN connection for a wireless access point.

By the way, some brands do sell powerline plugs that are singleton wireless access points, with no extra "host" plug.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7