× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Linking Two Routers with HDX101

SoCalScott
Aspirant

Linking Two Routers with HDX101

I'm trying to link my upstairs router (R1) with a router downstairs (R2) using HDX101 adapters. This is what I'm trying to achieve:

R1<-->Upstairs HDX101<-->Downstairs HDX101<-->R2

I have confirmed connectivity between the upstairs HDX101 and the downstairs HDX101 (I'm using the link to stream a Slingbox to my network, and it works GREAT!).

When I connect the R1 and R2 directly with an Ethernet cable, I'm able to use R2 both wired and wirelessly to connect to the internet.

When I connect my computer directly to the downstairs HDX101 with an Ethernet cable, I'm able to connect to the internet.

But when I connect R2 to the downstairs HDX101, I'm not able to connect to the internet either with devices connected wirelessly to R2, or with a wired connection.

R1 = 192.168.11.1
R2 = 192.168.11.99
R2 has DHCP disabled (and I tried it enabled, but that didn't work)

Since the two routers work while directly connected with an Ethernet cable, and I can use my computer plugged in directly to the downstairs HDX101, it seems to me that there's an issue with how the HDX101 adapters "talk" to R2.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Message 1 of 3
dickie
Novice

Re: Linking Two Routers with HDX101

Sorry - I think this overlapped with my other post.

1) Make sure you have disabled DHCP (you have - ok)
2) Ensure the link from the powerline to R2 goes into one of the LAN ethernet ports (NOT the internet connection)

This way R1 serves all the IP address via DHCP, R2 is just a wireless access point (you wont be able to connect R2 on its own downstairs as it has no DHCP, which means no IP addresses for connectivity). In this setup you need both (one master downstairs, one slave upstairs)
Message 2 of 3
SoCalScott
Aspirant

Re: Linking Two Routers with HDX101

dickie wrote:
Sorry - I think this overlapped with my other post.

1) Make sure you have disabled DHCP (you have - ok)
2) Ensure the link from the powerline to R2 goes into one of the LAN ethernet ports (NOT the internet connection)

This way R1 serves all the IP address via DHCP, R2 is just a wireless access point (you wont be able to connect R2 on its own downstairs as it has no DHCP, which means no IP addresses for connectivity). In this setup you need both (one master downstairs, one slave upstairs)

I've checked, and checked again, and DHCP is disabled on R2, and the connection to R2 is in one of the LAN ports. Yet, no connectivity between R1 and R2.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7