× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking to purchase a PLW1010 and have a range question

GS972
Aspirant

Looking to purchase a PLW1010 and have a range question

I have a garage at the top of my property with a game room over head. The house is about 180 feet away down by the lake.  The power comes from the street to the garage breaker box then goes down to the house with a second breaker box.  My DSL goes from the street to the house directly. The network provider equipment is a modem router/switch/WiFi combo.  I want to connect the base unit of the powerline to the providers switch in the house and the WiFi unit in the garage 180 feet away.  It will be mainly used for a Ring floodlight  camera on the garage. It will also be used for WiFi connectivity to phones/tablets and laptops occasionally and to stream a HD movie once in a while.  Is this possible or should I save my money?

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Looking to purchase a PLW1010 and have a range question

I've never used powerline through a subpanel. theoretically it should work. Problem is going to be interference and distance. Powerline is susceptible to interference. these include arc fault breakers, gfci breakers, and I'd imagine mains breakers. Add in the distance of 180 ft and you'd be pushing it. You can try buying a setup and seeing if it works and what your throughput is. If it isn't high enough to be satisfactory, you could return it.

sorry I don't have a set answer as many factors influence powerline. People have had issues just going across their house so add in the subpanels, distance, and possible interference and I can't give you a definitive answer.  

If you do it, couple things you can try to help.

1. Shoot to have the least amount of breakers between the adapters to limit interference.

2. have the adapters as close to the breaker boxes as possible.

3. try to limit the outlet you use to the just the adapter. No surge protectors or anything else on the outlet to reduce possible interference at that point.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Looking to purchase a PLW1010 and have a range question

I've never used powerline through a subpanel. theoretically it should work. Problem is going to be interference and distance. Powerline is susceptible to interference. these include arc fault breakers, gfci breakers, and I'd imagine mains breakers. Add in the distance of 180 ft and you'd be pushing it. You can try buying a setup and seeing if it works and what your throughput is. If it isn't high enough to be satisfactory, you could return it.

sorry I don't have a set answer as many factors influence powerline. People have had issues just going across their house so add in the subpanels, distance, and possible interference and I can't give you a definitive answer.  

If you do it, couple things you can try to help.

1. Shoot to have the least amount of breakers between the adapters to limit interference.

2. have the adapters as close to the breaker boxes as possible.

3. try to limit the outlet you use to the just the adapter. No surge protectors or anything else on the outlet to reduce possible interference at that point.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7