× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Loss of download speed

junkdiver
Aspirant

Loss of download speed

Desktop machine OS=WIN 7 64 bit  

Just purchased Netgear RAX20 router.

What is the lifespan of the XET1001 adapter? I know that I'll lose some download speed but it is now ridiculously low. 

First off I’m on satellite, currently out of bandwidth, so the speed has been slowed down. My wife has a laptop (wireless) and if I download a file on her machine and compare it to downloading on my laptop it’s Kb/s versus B/s  

I’ve had the adapters over 6 years and wonder if we’re past the life span of the devices.

Model: XET1001|85 Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet Adapter
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
junkdiver
Aspirant

Re: Loss of download speed

I'm lucky to get 50bps.Thanks for your advice.

I'll seriously look into the PLP2000.

Thanks again for your reply. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies

@junkdiver wrote:

What is the lifespan of the XET1001 adapter? I know that I'll lose some download speed but it is now ridiculously low. 

Not sure what lifespan has to do with it, the XET1001 is just ancient. One of the first generation powerline devices, it dates back to 2008. It was already ancient by the time you bought it six years ago. There were already two generations of Powerline plug available in 2009.

The XET1001 is an "85 Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet Adapter". It predates all of the powerline AV standards.

That 85 Mbps is on a good day with the wind behind you. You will never see it in the real world.

Modern plugs are seriously faster. The PLP2000, for example, has an Ethernet port that promises 1000BASE-T.  That's the same as the Ethernet ports on your RAX20.

It also claims to offer Bandwidth of 2000 Mbps. This is said to have a data transfer rate
"up to 2000 Mbps with real throughput greater than 500 Mbps". YOu'd be lucky to get 50 Mbps from an XET1001.

So, the PLP2000 is massively faster than your XET1001, which would be slow, even by DSL Internet standards. Probably best recycled as a paperweight.

Message 2 of 6
junkdiver
Aspirant

Thanks again for your reply. 

Message 3 of 6

@junkdiver wrote:

Bin it.

@junkdiver wrote:

What is your Internet speed? The PLP2000 may be over the top for many Internet services.

The PLP1200 may be cheaper. PL1000 and PL1100 also. All should be available. They will work together.

Message 4 of 6
junkdiver
Aspirant

Currently using ViaSat. Download is somewhere around 2.5Mb/s. The surrounding counties in coordination with power utilities are in the process of pushing fiber out to everone. Hopefully, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we'll have high speed internet within the year.

Message 5 of 6

Good luck. I can live with anything faster than 50 Mbps. You won't know what hit you. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7