× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Major issues with combination of Nighthawk R7000P router and PLP2000 powerline.

brett_net
Follower

Major issues with combination of Nighthawk R7000P router and PLP2000 powerline.

I'm having some fairly confusing issues with the combination of my R7000P Nighthawk router and PLP2000 Powerline kit.

Full backstory: I have spectrum as my cable/internet/land-line provider. After a while, the stock router they gave me just wasn't good enough, so I purchased by own router (R7000P Nighthawk) several days ago. The results were very encouraging, as I could notice a real change in my wifi and wired speeds.

Since my router and modem (Arris TM1602A provided by spectrum) are in a different area of the house, I use a powerline to get better results on my xbox one. For years with the stock spectrum router and modem, I never had any issues with powerlining. Then, roughly 2 days into using the new router, the old powerline kit just simply would not connect the xbox one to the internet.

So, I went out and bought a new powerline kit (the Netgear PLP2000 Powerline) with hopes of solving the problem and upgrading my powerlining. Instead, the opposite happened. Now, not only can I not get a connection through the powerline, it actually messes up my entire spectrum service.

When the powerline is connected to the Nighthawk router, all of my devices are unable to connect to the internet. Literally all of them, including my devices that don't even use a powerline connection.

I tested it, and when the powerline isn't hooked up to the router, everything is perfect. However, the second I plug the powerline into the router via ethernet cord, everything stops working. Then, when I unplug it and restart the router and modem, it's back to normel.

Additional context: I do not have the powerline connected to the wall through extension cords or surge protectors. Both ends of the powerline are plugged directly into the wall and are properly connected via ethernet cable directly into the router and the xbox one, respectively.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? It has been confusing/frustrating me so much. I've tried countless things to fix it, but nothing has worked. I contacted spectrum to see if it was something on their end, and it wasn't. They said everything looked good with my equipment, but again, while the networks were technically up and available, I couldn't connect any devices to it while the powerline was plugged into the router.

Thanks to anyone/everyone who comes across this and has some advice to share.

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet, R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Major issues with combination of Nighthawk R7000P router and PLP2000 powerline.

@brett_net wrote:

I tested it, and when the powerline isn't hooked up to the router, everything is perfect. However, the second I plug the powerline into the router via ethernet cord, everything stops working. Then, when I unplug it and restart the router and modem, it's back to normel.

Strange. I have never seen anything like that.

It looks like your modem is just that. No router function.

Have you tried a complete network reboot with the "host" Powerline plug connected to the router??

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

@brett_net wrote:

When the powerline is connected to the Nighthawk router, all of my devices are unable to connect to the internet. Literally all of them, including my devices that don't even use a powerline connection.

Does that include wifi devices?

What firmware version do you have on the R7000P?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Not that this is likely to have much effect, but the Netgear techies will want to know if you contact them.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7