× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mix 2 XAVB 5401 and 4 PLP 1200 into 2 groups

druesing
Aspirant

Mix 2 XAVB 5401 and 4 PLP 1200 into 2 groups

I want to use my 4 1200 powerline adapters for HDTV at their optimal speed. If I add two 5401 Adapters without interaction on the power wires to the 1200 powerlines by creating a different password, do the 1200 powerlines run with maximum speed? All adapters are plugged into the same power grid. The two powerline groups interact on network level via a network switch.
Message 1 of 8

If you have a mixture of powerline devices in the same powerline network, they will talk to each other at the speed of the slower plugs.

You can run two separate powerline networks side by side. You'll need to connect two plugs to the modem/router.

The speed of slow plugs will be more than adequate for HDTV, so I can't see the point of running two separate powerline networks. But that is your call.

One thing to remember, old generation powerline plugs have LAN ports that support 100 Mbps Ethernet (again, plenty for HD TV) while newer and fast plugs support 1000 Mbps Ethernet.

Message 2 of 8
druesing
Aspirant

I have two powerline networks, separated by different encryption passwords. On ethernet level they are connected by a switch part of a router. But all 6 powerlines are in the same power cicuit. So do the slower powerlines the faster ones?
Message 3 of 8

@druesing wrote:
So do the slower powerlines the faster ones?

Something seems to be missing in there. It doesn't make sense to me.

But if they are separate networks, then they may not slow each other down. I would, though, worry about having so much stuff fighting on one mains circuit. I'd simplify it as far as possible.

@druesing wrote:
On ethernet level they are connected by a switch part of a router.

I don't understand that bit either.

How many powerline plugs do you have attached to the router?

A map night help.

Message 4 of 8
druesing
Aspirant

OK, let's make the two sentences clearer.

1. should be "So do the slower powerlines interfere the faster ones?". Or: So do the slower powerlines cause slowdown the faster ones?

2. The two powerline networks are connected to a router. One powerline of both networks is connected by an ethernet cable.
Message 5 of 8

@druesing wrote:
"So do the slower powerlines interfere the faster ones?". Or: So do the slower powerlines cause slowdown the faster ones?

Maybe this should be "do the slower powerlines slow down the faster ones".

Probably not noticeably if they are on separate networks, using different securiotyh settings.

@druesing wrote:
The two powerline networks are connected to a router. One powerline of both networks is connected by an ethernet cable.

Again, this is not clear. Clearly they are connected to the router or they wouldn't work.

For two networks to be completely separate, there should be two homeplugs connected to the router, one plug for the slow network and one plug for the fast network.

This is probably what you have, but I have no idea what you mean when you say:

"One powerline of both networks is connected by an ethernet cable."

For there to be no interference, the networks have to be completely separate. The only place where they join is on the main circuit.

Message 6 of 8
clithes
Prodigy

Even with two separate networks, the XAV5401 plugged in near the switch at the router could still interfere with the PLP1200 plugged in at that end as well.

Both adapters will most likely be using the same physical mains wiring to communicate with their respective 'receiver' units.  The XAV5401 sends it's data over the live and neutral wires (the earth pin is plastic) whereas the PLP1200 has two pairs, Live - Neutral and Neutral - Earth (all 3 pins are metal).  The PLP1200, like most AV2 adapters, chooses the best way to send the data over.  It is conceivable that, if the XAV5401 is hogging all the capability over the Live - Neutral pins then the PLP1200 may just choose to send data over the Neutral - Earth pair.  This could impact the throughput figures of the PLP1200 network.

However, I agree with @michaelkenward, 500s should be plenty adequate to stream HD media.  Unless of course you're planning to stream Blu-ray source media or 4k where the bitrate can be quite high

Message 7 of 8

@clithes wrote:
It is conceivable that, if the XAV5401 is hogging all the capability over the Live - Neutral pins then the PLP1200 may just choose to send data over the Neutral - Earth pair.  This could impact the throughput figures of the PLP1200 network.

I tried to cover that base with my "probably".

When two different systems are trying to work over the same network, you have to consider crosstalk. That's physics for you. But, as designed, the two networks are supposed to be independent.

Me, I can't see why anyone would want to run two separate networks. It is highly unlikely that, even at the slower speeds, a user will perceive any slowdown.

What can anyone do that will gag at the speeds of the 500s?

The 1000s may have an advantage when it comes to their interface speed, 1000Mbps over 100Mbps. 100 Megabit LAN is slower than the 500s can handle, so, in theory, the network runs faster than the plugs. That isn't the case if you plug 1000 Mbps plugs on to a 500 Mbps network.

But there too I defy anyone to notice the difference.

1000Mbps plugs will come into their own when the world has Internet speeds faster than today's typical <100 Mbps lines. This is already the case in some parts of the world, where 1000 Mbps plugs might make sense. For most people they are a luxury.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7