× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moved house - mental block reconnecting !

borischelski
Aspirant

Moved house - mental block reconnecting !

We have just moved house and I have had a complete mental block in reconnecting!!!

I have 2x access point xwn5001 & 1x xav5201.

I have connected xav5201 to my wifi router via an ethernet cable. I have 3 static green lights.

I have plugged in both xwn5001 elsewhere in the house. Both are showing 2 static green lights and a static blue lights.

1)Is my current set up correct or have I made a mistake ?
2) A friend has just given me 2 additional xav5201 adapters.
If I plug these 2 additional adapters in around the house (ie without ethernet cables) will they connect and further extend my wifi signal ?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. Any advice hugely appreciated:-)
Model: XWNB5201|Powerline 500 WiFi Access Point
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Moved house - mental block reconnecting !

Hi borischelski, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information michaelkenward provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

@borischelski wrote:
Both are showing 2 static green lights and a static blue lights.

These lights tell you what is going on. It would help if we knew which they were.

The Pick A Plug will tell you if there is a link between the plugs over the mains.

There is a manual for the XWN5001 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> XWN5001 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<<

If things are mnot working, you don't say, it might be good idea to reset the plugs and start from scratch. It is easier to set the plugs up near to each other, then when they are set up you can move them to their intended location.

Remember, when adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

Sorry if these are dumb questions. Any advice hugely appreciated:-)

There is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers. At least, that us what they taught me as a journalist.

Message 2 of 8
borischelski
Aspirant

Michael

Thank you so much for your reply.

In terms of operationality, NETGEAR_EXT generally WIFI operates albeit slowly.

I actually already have both documents but as a technophobe am unfortunately still very confused.

1) guess my first question would be as to whether I am correct to plug xav5201 to my wifi router via an ethernet cable ? Or should I instead use xwn5001 for this purpose ?

2) on the ethernet xav5201 the lights showing are:

Power led - green
Powerline led - green
Wireless led - green

Subject to xav5201 being correctly connected by ethernet, do these lights suggest correctly operating ?

3) Both original xwn501s are plugged around the house without ethernet cables. Is this correct ? (I am confused why these also have sockets for applying an ethernet cable ?)

4) The lights on both xwn501s show:

Power led - green
Powerline led - green
Wireless led - blue

5) Would there be any value in plugging in around the house the 2 additional xav5201 adapters recently given to me ? Ie would this potentially improve my signal further ?
Model: XWN5001|Powerline 500 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 8

The sockets for applying an ethernet cable

@borischelski wrote:
1) guess my first question would be as to whether I am correct to plug xav5201 to my wifi router via an ethernet cable ? Or should I instead use xwn5001 for this purpose ?

You have it right. The wifi plug (xwn5001) is the remote one.

Your lights look right.

3) Both original xwn501s are plugged around the house without ethernet cables. Is this correct ? (I am confused why these also have sockets for applying an ethernet cable ?)

Again you have it right the "sockets for applying an ethernet cable" are there to connect things back to the router.

Do you have smart TV? Don't even think about using wifi to connect it to the internet. Too messy and flaky, Plug it into the LAN port on one of those remote plugs.

I actually already have both documents but as a technophobe am unfortunately still very confused.

Unfortunately, there are times when we have to exercise the grey matter and try to work out what is going on.

Message 4 of 8
borischelski
Aspirant

Michael

Thanks for your feedback

One last question if I may ?

5) Would there be any value in plugging in around the house the 2 additional xav5201 adapters recently given to me ? Ie would this potentially improve my signal further ?
Message 5 of 8

@borischelski wrote:
Michael

Thanks for your feedback

One last question if I may ?

Who knows?You'll have to try it and see.

I have already explained how to find out how add new plugs to an existing network.

Message 6 of 8
borischelski
Aspirant

Sorry i wasnt sure if there may be an effective limit on the number of 5201s one could add before their overall efficiency ie diluting original signal too much.

Thank you so much for your advice and patience.

Cheers

Paul
Message 7 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi borischelski, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information michaelkenward provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7